At AstraZeneca, patients are at the heart of everything we do.
A global company that pushes the boundaries of science, we all share a big purpose: to discover and develop life-changing medicines that save lives.
In IT we make a direct impact on that purpose - enabling the entire business to perform at its peak. Combining cutting-edge science with leading digital technology platforms and our own data sets.
Ours is a place to innovate, take ownership and run with it - with countless opportunities to learn and grow your career. You get to design your path, but there's support all the way!
We are looking for a Data Solutions Lead to join either our Gaithersburg office or Wilmington site.
It's a dynamic and challenging environment to work in - but that's why we like it. You're trusted to explore and to find new solutions. But most of all we respect the collective - diverse minds that move at pace and collaborate openly. As a Data Solutions Lead you will manage a team of solution architects and data engineers to deliver data solutions that support both business and IT strategy. Have the ability to lead in-depth technology discussions, articulating the business value of the solution, and shared services. Good communication and interpersonal skills are required for engaging with Enterprise Architects, Technical Architects, Cloud Architects, Engineering teams, Project managers, Product owners, Directors and VPs. You strive for close, collaborative, and empowered working environments, where individuals and teams can thrive.
We are looking for a Data solutions lead to enable our teams in delivery of Business Intelligence and Data projects to our internal customers. The primary accountability will be working with BI, Data and Automation leadership team, architects, Data and Analytics architects in CFIT teams in delivering data solutions, and development of a coordinated BI technical strategy and roadmap for the enterprise. Focus will be on how to rapidly build internal capability (on/off shore, IT/business) and source technology to meet growing business expectation on how BI can deliver better insights from Data.
In this role we expect significant external due diligence to ensure we are current in BI Architecture space as well as collaborating closely across the AZ portfolio' to demonstrate innovation and investments in other parts of AZ. In addition, the individual will play an oversight role on Big Data, Data Science, BI Fabric in the SSS, mentor team members on approaches, advising projects on application of Big Data and data science capability.
The successful candidate should deliver tangible and measurable value to IIS, SSS and CFIT partners by advising, prototyping and delivering BI solutions. Lastly, you will also operate, as needed, in a hands-on capacity, as part of the delivery of BI solutions within projects.
The role will report to and be supported by, the BI, Data and Automation capability lead of Software Shared Services (SSS) and will work across the SSS organisation, primarily passionate about BI/Automation solutions.
- You will partner and develop a BI and data engineering technical strategy and roadmap, working with business, architecture and D&A leaders.
- Actively identifying areas for innovation, develop a business case in alignment with BI and Data Leadership team and demonstrate value through prototyping and delivery of solutions.
- Supervise external innovation, you will find opportunities and advise and guide on investments / vendors / partnerships (academic & commercial).
- Responsible for developing skills and raise awareness across IT teams on new advancements in the BI and Data domains.
- You will support the delivery of the strategy by advising BI projects implementing solutions on standard methodology and technology application, and the oversight/delivery of enabling BI platform capability.
- You will collaborate closely with CFIT architects on data and technology architectures/ investments.
- As needed, hands on delivery of BI solutions within projects.
- You will lead methodology, best practices, tooling, documentation and overall continuous evolution of capabilities.
- Lead a distributed team of Data professionals spread across multiple time zones.
- Strong BI and Data Architecture experience including strategy definition and execution.
- Big Data/Data Science experience.
- Strong external network and awareness in BI and Data domain.
- Experience of a range of Analytics architectures: traditional warehousing, Distributed computing (Hadoop), NoSQL, virtualization, semantic web, data streaming, etc.
- Extensive SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience supporting and working with multi-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
Areas of specialization will include:
- Big Data Technologies - Hive, Impala
- Cloud computing and services (AWS / AZURE / GCP)
- Business Intelligence, Data analysis and design of KPI/Measures/Metrics
- ETL and ELT concepts, principles and implementations
- Data Virtualization concepts, principles and implementations
- Data and information Management and Data Engineering
- Master Data Management
- Metadata Management
- Data Archival
- SAP Business Objects, Qlikview/Qliksense, MicroStrategy, Thoughtspot, PowerBI
- Oracle, SQL Server, Redshift, SAP HANA
- Agile development (SAFe, SCRUM)
Behavior and skills
- Mental Agility: critical and fast problem solver, comfortable with complexity and making connections that are understandable for others - Breadth and Depth of thinking - Problem solving.
- Flexibility: Learner mentality; proven ability to try new things and be successful in different environment. Entrepreneurship. Comfortable with ambiguity and unpredictability. Forward looking.
- Self-Awareness: Has personal insight and effectively communicates.
- Impact and Influence: strong drive for results - Ability to lead change. Challenge status quo - Ability to impact and influence different profiles and add values.
If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you!
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
This job has expired.