At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. One of the biggest challenges we face right now is finding answers to the global COVID-19 pandemic. This is an opportunity for you to take a leadership role in the AstraZeneca Infection Franchise and COVID vaccine team to help us follow the science, put patients first and do the right thing.
In the COVID vaccine program AstraZeneca has partnered with Oxford University and nations throughout the world to develop and fairly distribute billions of vaccine doses globally. A critical element of the program is our partnership with the US government. We are working under a $1.6B agreement with BARDA (Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority) to complete a phase 3 development program in concert with a rapid supply chain and manufacturing effort to deliver 300,000 million doses to the United States by mid-2021.
This Senior Director role is a new role created specifically for the Infection Franchise. This is a key leadership role within Global Portfolio and Project Management (GPPM) that is accountable for ensuring that our Infection programs are well staffed with skilled project managers, and maintaining excellent relationships with our partners to deliver the COVID Vaccine and other Infection programs. The role has elements of organizational leadership, alliance management, program management, and coordination and oversight of the project office. This role reports directly to the VP of Project and Portfolio Management Biopharmaceuticals and has responsibility for managing PM and PMO staff supporting the Infection Franchise.
Infection Franchise Team Leadership
CoV-2 Vaccine Program BARDA Liaison
- Creates a shared sense of purpose, inspires and energises others
- Manages performance, recruitment and development for team of project managers focused on the Infection Franchise
- Engages with critical stakeholders outside of team to address barriers or challenges facing team
- Leverages expertise in project management and drug development to coach staff and influence stakeholders
- Ensures excellence in project management including high quality project plans; enterprise system data quality; and issue, risk and communication management
- Work closely with other TA project management heads to ensure robust, consistent processes are employed across global product teams
- Work with Respiratory and Inflammation portfolio head to ensure accuracy of portfolio level information and reports
- Lead improvements in project management methodologies and processes to reduce costs and increase effectiveness.
Program Management and Delivery
- Works directly with Vaccine PM as main contact for BARDA on the CoV-2 Vaccine development program
- Ensures systems and processes are in place to support a working relationship and everyday communication among BARDA and AZ team members as well as team members from other US government agencies and key vendors involved in the program
- Provides program management by active input into the program structure and strategy for working with BARDA
- Ensures project, structures, and processes are aligned to support requirements of OTA agreement for BARDA
- Ensures projects and sub-project strategies align with overall BARDA program strategy
- Ensures appropriate linkages between project strategy and key internal processes (TA strategy, TA prioritization, corporate scorecard)
- Maintains detailed understanding of the contract requirements of all the BARDA agreements including the technical proposal, cost proposal, Other Transactions Agreement (OTA). Serves as consulted expert internally for stakeholders needed to understand the contract requirements.
- Works with lead from Government Relations to provide ongoing information on the project, and ensure support for activities with the US government concerning the program
- Works with the Project Office to deliver tracking and reporting for the project internally and for BARDA
- Owns oversight and tracking of delivery of the BARDA contract for scope, schedule and budget items
- May provide oversight of other Infection Franchise contracts and relationships
- Serves as a role model for cross-functional collaboration and effective conflict resolution.
- Leads by example in learning, innovation seeking opportunities to change paradigm and removes barriers within and outside the team
- Uses business knowledge to drive cross-project learning, champion and embed better ways of working across the enterprise, helping to establish new company best practices
Skills and ExperienceRequired
- Advanced degree in in a scientific or technical drug development subject or equivalent work experience
- At least 10 years of extensive experience leading drug development projects including success in multiple roles/environments related to drug development
- Able to expertly navigate internal and external governance processes to drive complex projects forward.
- Expert project manager with successful track record of delivering complex/ high business impact drug development projects within agreed time, quality and cost. Expert knowledge of project management tools and processes,
- Experience in improving drug-development related business processes or ways of working to improve speed, cost, timing or effort associated with project delivery
- Skilled at building, motivating, leading and inspiring high performing teams. Experience in direct people management.
- Experience ensuring high quality data in enterprise systems
- Track record of effective Senior Stakeholder management, demonstrating strong ability to influence strategically
- Relevant therapeutic area expertise (infection or vaccine experience)
- Experience in managing US government contracts
- Project Management (PMP) Certification
- Strong internal network with experience in AZ ways of working