At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the utmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a Medical Head, US Medical Affairs DDR/Women's Gyn for AZ in Oncology, you will play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing practice and patients' lives.
AstraZeneca's vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through five key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, HER2 and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
The Medical Head, DDR/Women's Gyn is a member of the Women's Gyn Franchise and leads Women's Gyn Core Medical Team. The position is a Senior Director position. The Medical Head is knowledgeable of the actions of regulatory bodies, FDA and has experience in clinical trials. An ideal candidate should have significant experience in oncology and would thrive on proactively engaging internal and external leaders. S/he is accountable for the development and execution of the US Women's Gyn Medical Plans, under the leadership of the franchise head, and leadership of the Women's Gyn Core Medical Team. The ideal Medical Head would have a network of Oncology ESEs. As a member of the Global Medical Team, the Medical Head represents the US on the GMT for life cycle management, and other externally sponsored research.
- Lead Women's Gyn Core Medical Teams (CMT)
- Accountable for the brand medical strategy and creation and delivery of brand medical plan, within a particular indication, and under direction of the Franchise Head
- Accountable for ensuring delivery of appropriate budget and resource requirements to support medical needs for the indication.
- Lead medical director(s) to help deliver U.S.-based evidence activities, including Clinical Trials, Real World Evidence Studies, Investigator Initiated and Sponsored Research, and Publications
- Manage and develop direct reports (brand Medical Director(s), and Director(s) of Medical Alignment.
- Create an atmosphere of clear accountabilities.
- Ensure compliance with all AZ corporate policies
- As part of Medical Plan, ensure comprehensive engagement plan with customers and key stakeholders, e.g., Managed Care Organizations, ESEs, Key Institutions and Hospital Systems, Professional Societies and cooperative networks
- Develop and maintain relationships with key external and internal customers.
- Participating in and collaborating with both commercial and development in the labeling negotiations for a product approval
Launch Experience: Experience developing and/or launching a new pharmaceutical product
Global Interactions: Represent US Medical Affairs on Women's Gyn Global Medical Teams, incorporating US healthcare system perspectives and personal expertise into both the Global and US Medical Affairs strategy and operational plans.
The US Medical Affairs team is an integral part of the overall global strategy. The Medical Head sits on the GMT and has a role to inform the GMT, and work with the franchise head, to identify critical issues for the brand within indication or that may affect the overall franchise. The US Medical Head will be working in a collaborative fashion with the Global Medical Affairs team to deliver both the strategy and overall operational plan for the US.
- Advanced scientific degree
- Minimum 5 years in pharmaceutical/medical industry
- Strong leadership skills
- Proven teamwork and collaboration skills
- Board Certification, experience/certification in oncology/hematology
- Experience developing and/or launching a new pharmaceutical product
- Broad cross-functional pharmaceutical and cross-functional general management experience
- Strong scientific background; knowledge and experience in respiratory disease
- Minimum 5 years' experience in a strategy-setting role within Medical Affairs
- Global experience within the pharmaceutical industry
- Working knowledge of FDA requirements
- Experience working in US market
Essential Skillsand Competencies:
Next Steps - Apply today!To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
This job has expired.
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills
- Understands drug development of pharmaceutical products
- Comprehensive understanding of pharmaceutical product planning, regulatory environment, marketing and promotion
- Comprehensive understanding of the U.S. healthcare environment
- Experience in a global organization
- History of mentoring/development of others
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills
- Shows initiative and innovation
- Strategic thinking
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong business acumen, including working knowledge of changing U.S. payer and provider landscape, and RWE
- Proven ability to interact productively with both commercial and scientific colleagues
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in cross functional teams
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally. Travel will be approximately 20-30% of time