The MV Transportation General Manager's primary responsibility is to support our Clients by utilizing the established policies and practices to deliver services within expected standards and within budget. The General Manager will also assist in maintaining both short-term and the long-term strategies and goals as well as ensuring the participation and compliance with established programs, policies, standards, and best-practices.
General Manager Objective
- Operations Monitoring: Review service statistics throughout the day and meet with staff to identify and correct problems and potential issues.
- Strategic Planning: Develop operational strategies in concert with the management team that aligns to and supports the execution of program strategies and goals. These include route planning, technology shifts and the move to fleet electrification.
- Relationship Building: Working as part of a cohesive team with our Client's and other providers in the programs, such as chosen technology partners, internal client departments, and other stakeholders. Building upon and enhancing collaborative partnerships.
- Budgeting: Creates the Operations budget and monitors costs, employee productivity, and purchasing. The General Manager responsibilities include negotiating with vendors to obtain services and equipment at a reasonable cost.
- Human Resources Tasks: As an Operations executive, responsible for each employee on the organizational chart. Responsible for developing strategies to retain top talent and creating personnel policies and training programs.
- Safety Reviews: General Manager and their management team are responsible for monitoring employee safety, ensuring equipment is properly maintained, and creating new safety protocols, as needed; responsible for maintaining licensing and regulations compliance.
- Executive Team Meetings: Work closely with other top managers and partners to ensure program objectives receive the necessary support and attention.
Successful General Managers are comfortable working with people at all levels within the company, understand how to motivate and encourage staff. Qualified candidates possess strong leadership abilities, are self-motivated and can focus on the intricacies without losing sight of the overall scope of a project.
- Provide Clients with transportation management support, service and expertise. Use industry knowledge to contribute recommendations and improve the design and delivery of the services.
- Partner with key members to ensure that transportation needs are understood and are properly addressed.
- Ensure the program is in compliance with all statutory and reporting regulations, as well as the client policies and controls. Maintain stringent policies regarding data integrity and privacy.
- Manage, lead and develop direct reports including: clearly communicating performance standards; ensuring all team members have annual, measurable commitments, and all employees receive timely, annual performance reviews against those commitments; ensuring team members have updated career development plans and receive appropriate career coaching.
- Present service recommendations to Clients, effectively communicating the business case and negotiating with key internal and external stakeholders based upon a thorough understanding of service capabilities and industry options. Lead any applicable sourcing process, negotiate any necessary contracts, develop service strategies, and manage the implications of operational changes.
- Ensure the delivery of "world class" service to the customer base, interpret policy, deliver service, and monitor performance in a manner consistent with expected standards, policies, and processes.
- Prepare periodic status reports which measure progress against agreed upon initiatives, benefits, issues resolution and service levels. Monitor area needs to anticipate future system requirements and assess the external marketplace to identify improvement opportunities.
- Promote continuous improvement through effective process, methodology, and training. Identify and implement best practices within the area to support the continuous improvement of the knowledge base and best practices.
- Respond to all business requests related to Employee Transportation Service.
- Transportation, logistics or employee services experience preferred
- Labor/union(s) negotiations/experience is a plus
- Proven track record as a team leader with an understanding of management practices
- Demonstrated project and budget management skills
- Strong business acumen with a broad understanding of fundamental business principles
- Analytical problem-solving skills with an impeccable attention to detail
- Ability to set overall strategy and drive process improvement
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to collaborate and build a consensus in a high-pressure environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel)
- Bachelor's degree in business, accounting, or a related field
- Five (5) to 10 years leadership experience
- Multi-team management experience
- Previous P&L responsibility preferred
MV Transportation has been closely following the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines for personal protection equipment (PPE), which now includes gloves and hand sanitizer in our divisions. Our Procurement team was able to secure an order for more than a half-million masks and other personal protection equipment, which have been sent to our divisions. MV Transportation as a company remains strong and we will be well-positioned to move forward even during these trying times. The safety and well-being of our employees and the passengers we serve remains our #1 priority!
MV Transportation is committed to as policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. The information collected by this application is solely to determine suitability for employment, verify identity and maintain employment statistics on applicants.
Where permissible under applicable state and local law, applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test after receiving a conditional offer of employment.