Facility: ROBERT A DEYTON DETENTION CENTER
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Initiates and provides comprehensive nursing care in a correctional setting while observing and maintaining the requirements of operational security.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs a complete physical assessment and medical history as required on each detainee/inmate entering the correctional system. Medical problems are referred to the physician for extended evaluation.
- Assists physician with sick call by screening patients and performing minor surgical procedures. Treats detainees/inmates with problems within professional capabilities and refers other medical problems to the appropriate physician.
- Ensures the implementation of physician's orders. Ensures that prescribed medications are administered as ordered using the formulary. Apply knowledge of drugs and therapeutics in dispensing medication.
- Makes observation rounds on patients, and records in progress notes. Evaluates symptoms, reactions, and progress of patients on periodic basis, charts, and reports problems to management.
- Maintains security while dispensing medications and is continually cognizant of the potential hazard of drug hoarding and trafficking among detainees/inmates. Maintains non-involvement in the security aspects of care.
- Destroys and properly disposes of all needles/syringes.
- Prepares regularly scheduled reports and special reports as necessary.
- Maintains compliance with industry and company policies for accreditation.
- Documents all detainee/inmate contacts. Maintains confidentiality of medical records.
- Coordinates Chronic Disease Clinic scheduling.
- Supervises the work flow of the LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) staff. Provides input into performance evaluation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.