Oncology is a core therapy area and growth platform at AstraZeneca and our vision is to deliver life-changing medicines that improve outcomes for patients most in need. As part of Oncology Chemistry, world leading group with a history of delivery and innovation, Analytical and Structural Chemistry plays an important role in advancing new oncology drug projects to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives. The team operates in a highly cross disciplinary environment in close collaboration with scientists from the Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Bioscience, DMPK and Pharmaceutical Science departments to advance the Oncology project pipeline.
Join the newly formed Astrazeneca's Oncology Cell Unit and be part of building an innovative pipeline and deliver potentially high impact treatments to patients.
The Scientist Cell Therapy conducts routine drug discovery research experiments independently by applying the techniques of molecular and cellular biology, communicates the results to team members and is involved in the interpretation of data.
Education, Qualifications, Skills and ExperienceEssential Education:
- Supports a team and works collaboratively with project managers to ensure the efficient relay of information and forward translation of data
- Maintains a well-developed understanding of approaches to drug discovery and applies a broader functional knowledge of the procedures used by diverse project groups to support the department where needed
- Assesses and reports data, with little or no guidance, in a clear and concise manner, with a clear understanding of its implications within the overall context of drug discovery
- Provides technical instruction to the team and allocates administrative work where possible
- Shares relevant external published papers with peers
- Communicates and shares information between distinct projects within the bioscience function and across other functions
- Ensures own work, and work of peers, stays in sync with Good Laboratory Practice, Safety, Health and Environment standards and all other relevant internal AstraZeneca standards and external regulations
- Degree in a relevant scientific field or significant relevant experience and knowledge of oncology from working in the life science sector.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Background in drug discovery and development in the pharmaceutical industry
- Well-developed understanding of molecular and cellular biology, immunological assays and cell transfection/transduction
- Basic experience developing cellular therapies including CAR-T/CAR-NK, TCR-T therapies, and/or TIL therapies.
- Multicolour flow cytometry
- Transfection/transduction and expansion of primary cells
- In vivo skillset including animal handling, mouse tumor models, standard routes of dosing and engraftment.
- Advanced cell culture techniques