Under the direction of the VP Cement, the Manager, Cement Terminals will be responsible for coordinating terminal operating activities at the Beaumont, Celina, Katy, New Caney & Odessa Cement Terminals. The incumbent is responsible for managing terminal operations personnel to achieve the highest level of safety & housekeeping, environmental compliance, care of the facility & equipment, customer service and throughput in meeting the goals set forth in the annual business and profit plans.
Minimum Education and Experience
- Ensures that all personnel under his/her supervision comply with Federal, state and Company safety and environmental rules and regulations through periodic audits & inspections of plant machinery, equipment, work activities and working conditions.
- Audits safety training of employees at all terminals.
- Manages all employees [or through local site managers] for terminal operations at Beaumont, Celina, Katy, New Caney and Odessa Cement Terminals.
- Maintains a consistent bi-weekly presence at each location, according to business demands.
- Works closely with Martin Marietta's two Texas Cement Plant operations (Sales, Customer Service and Plant Distribution management) to ensure optimal product mix and needed & timely delivered volumes to each cement terminal. Uses inventory roll, inventory forecast and sales results to help achieve reliable cement inventories at each terminal
- Controls costs and ensures that plant and equipment are properly maintained
- Ensures that demurrage is kept to a minimum system wide.
- Ensures that terminal operations take care of bottom doors/gates on cars, and reports on top side issues with respective cement plant distribution teams
- Works closely with railroad personnel within Martin Marietta [MLM] and class I rail carriers to coordinate rail deliveries; Troubleshoots all rail delivery service and logistics issues
- Works closely with MLM Customer Service & Contract Haulers to coordinate efficient product delivery
- Keeps materials flowing through facilities in an efficient manner
- Manages terminal management at various sites not under his/her direct control such as Odessa.
- Actively manages and fosters working relationship with CIG-Odessa operator to achieve/maintain our contract for services and care of our facility at CIG-Odessa.
- Communicates delivery and product quality issues to all relevant parties in a timely manner
- Purchases or directs the purchase of supplies and equipment in accordance with MLM polices - recommends or changes vendors to reduce costs.
- Coordinates with VP Cement & General Manager Sales on the needed staffing to properly and safely operate the plants and coordinates the same needs and labor law compliance and affirmative action with Human Resources.
- Selects, trains and develops personnel under his/her supervision - evaluates performance of subordinates and takes/recommends appropriate personnel actions as necessary.
- Sets goals for terminals and ensures that they are achieved
- Assists plant employees in solving mechanical & electrical problems
- Responsible for, and work on preparation of Budgets, and Profit plans with District Finance Managers for Beaumont, Celina, Katy, New Caney and Odessa Cement Terminals.
- Develops and nurtures empowered work teams in all phases of operation and utilizes CI
- Promotes responsible interaction for community relations activities and involvement at each location.
- Assists in the development and ensures continual development of employees through training, cross training and other development tools.
- Audits to ensure and maintains operation security at each facility.
- Assesses present and future needs, trends, problems and profit opportunities within area of responsibility and makes appropriate recommendations to take advantage of opportunities or affect corrective actions.
- Develops, recommends and receives approval for profit plans (including sales forecasts and operational budgets). Implements and monitors objectives on an ongoing basis.
- Participates in formulation of short and long-range sales forecast plans for operational objectives with periodic status reviews prior to plans.
- Develops and recommends CER plans. Implements and reviews ongoing contracts, purchase orders, appropriations and expenditure requests. Insures that approved plans and policies are clearly understood by affected personnel.
- Develops, recommends and receives approval of appropriate salary plan and structure.
- Establishes rapport with major contractors and represents the Company's goodwill in all activities.
- Coordinates and implements management development and necessary training programs for all employees under his/her responsibility.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- BS Degree in related field preferred
- 7-10 years supervisory required
- Experienced in shipping and/or terminal operations.
- Experience in bulk products or related industry preferred
- Must understand silos, rail facilities and infrastructure including car movers, bag houses, airside & bucket elevator systems, scales, loading cement systems, pneumatic transfer systems and other conveyor systems, facility infrastructure including compressed air systems, electrical systems and control/automation systems.
- Ability to build relationships and communicate with customers, vendors, employees and management in a positive & professional manner.
- Must be able to work closely with Sales team to serve customer needs as required and work with Marketing and Sales to coordinate customer service efforts.
- Must have strong understanding of distribution networks, rail service, trucking and logistics.
- Strong organizational and budgeting skills
- Ability to be on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Must be PC literate and proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Must have mechanical ability and be able to troubleshoot mechanical problems.
- Must have a strong safety commitment & be familiar with Martin Marietta safety policy, OSHA and other relevant safety regulations.
- Must have a valid Texas driver's license
- Ability to sit, stand, stoop, and bend for extended periods of time (up to 8 hours.)
- Must be able to drive an automobile up to 6 hours a day to various plant sites and work locations.
- Walk on all types of surfaces (uneven and/or slippery ground)
- Physical ability to climb on equipment to provide supervision during work and ensure proper maintenance is being performed
- Exercise independent decision-making and prioritize conflicting demands
- Must be able to read, write, and verbally communicate in the English language
- Must be available for up to 50% travel by company assigned vehicle.
- Work 10-hour days on average, 5 days per week and many Saturdays
- Must be able to use proper Personal Protective Equipment as required
- Must be able to lift and carry heavy items using proper lifting techniques and/or equipment
- Drive automobile to various plant sites and work locations.
- Climb stairs and ladders as high as 100 feet in vertical distance
- Must be able to walk long distances, climb ladders, stairs, and stockpiles, stoop, and crawl under and into enclosed spaces
- Ability to see and hear safety indicators and warnings.
- Ability to work in surroundings that include heat, dust, vibration, heights and confined spaces.
- Must work in all weather conditions: heat, cold, wet, dry and/or dusty conditions
- Will have exposure to all levels of noise that require use of hearing protection