Join us in the discovery of future life changing medicines! We are now recruiting a Senior Bioinformatics Scientist to within Dynamic Omics, ADPE, R&D.
About AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland site creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. At this modern and vibrant campus, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration
The Gaithersburg site offers many amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you'll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
Summary of the Group
Dynamic Omics is part of the Antibody Discovery and Protein Engineering (ADPE) function within AstraZeneca, and works across all therapeutic areas (Oncology, Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolism (CVRM), Respiratory and Immunology (RI), Microbial Sciences and Neurosciences. In this department, we focus on developing mass spectrometry methods to identify and validate new drug targets for patients, understand mechanisms of actions and discover mechanisms of disease, identify biomarkers and develop strategies to stratify patients. The team delivers key data to projects across all phases of the drug discovery and development, and we work with all modalities from small molecules to biologics.
As a member of the expanding Dynamic Omics department, you will be actively involved in developing and implementing bioinformatics pipelines for metabolomics and proteomics applications to support the analysis of preclinical and clinical samples.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
This position will be primarily focused on getting insight from large-scale omics data investigating a number of biological questions in support of our preclinical and clinical research and requires comprehensive expertise in omics data interpretation.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Responsible for writing scripts and developing tools to analyze, integrate and visualize complex data sets from mass spectrometry based data
- Understand quantitative proteomics and metabolomics workflows and data structure to efficiently integrate and/or develop automated data acquisition, processing, analysis and visualization protocols, with appropriate infrastructure and pipeline management tools
- Develop appropriate QC tools to monitor and improve data acquisition and be responsible for maintaining and developing our applications for omics insight
- Contribute to local and global data management processes and solutions for capturing and exploiting omics and other high-dimensional data types such as imaging, flow cytometry, transcriptomics and genomics
- Collaborate with biologists, bioinformaticians, statisticians, data scientists and biologists to design and deliver robust and impactful multiomics studies, via data processing, analysis and interpretation. This includes design of experiments, analysis of omics data in conjunction with other data types via statistical, multivariate and machine learning approaches
- Combine open-source and/or commercially available software platforms for enabling protein and metabolite identification & annotation across multiple biosamples (cell lines, body fluids, tissues)
- PhD in bioinformatics, mathematics, computer science, statistics, engineering or the life sciences with 4 - 10 years of experience in mass spectrometry-based omics data analysis
- Demonstrable experience in the core competency areas: Mass-spectrometry based omics, multivariate and/or high dimensional data analysis (-omics), data management and visualization
- Experience with issues related to normalization, imputation and analysis of LC-MS omics data
- Contribute innovative and novel scientific analyses across line platform projects
- Basic understanding of molecular biology, cell biology, and human physiology
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with scientists across a broad range of disciplines
- Experience in multi-omics integration preferred
- Prior supervisory experience of 1-2 junior bioinformaticians ideal
- Ability to multitask, prioritize tasks, and work independently when designing and executing experiments with great attention to detail
- Willingness to learn new technologies
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.So, what's next?
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it's yours.Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en