Landry Aide / Housekeeping
Full Time, 32 hours
Gulf Coast Village
Maintain laundry/linen service in a clean, sanitary, safe, orderly, and attractive manner. Assure that the highest degree of sanitation is maintained at all times.
To ensure that all resident laundry is maintained in a timely fashion. Responsible for collecting, sorting, washing, drying, folding, stacking and distributing linens and personal laundry in compliance with facility laundry policies and procedures. Assist in keeping the laundry department neat, clean and orderly. Cleans equipment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. High school diploma or G.E.D. preferred.
2. Previous institutional laundering service experience.
3. Ability to understand and follow procedure, work assignments, instructions, warnings and labels. Ability to speak, read, write and understand English.
4. Adequate strength and endurance to meet the strenuous physical demands of such responsibilities as loading and unloading washers and dryers; coordination necessary to fold and iron clothing items and linen.
5. Ability to work in an area that is often hot and humid.
6. Motor coordination and manual dexterity to sort and fold linens, load and unload washers and dryers.
- Sort soiled linen and place in appropriate container with lid.
- Sort soiled linen and separate those items that need special stain treatment.
- Put appropriate amount of soiled linen into washers.
- Put appropriate amount of wet clean linen into dryers. Set temperature to correct setting and set cool down and timer to correct minutes.
- Fold, count and distribute clean linen as necessary.
- Sort through clean linen and discard as necessary.
- Maintain an adequate supply of linen for resident comfort and convenience.
- Maintain an adequate supply of laundry chemicals.
- Report equipment failure to supervisor before the end of the work shift.
- Keep work area free of hazardous conditions including but not limited to: excess laundry carts and supplies, improper handling of linens with biohazards.
- Keep floor as dry as possible, and post wet floor signs when possible.
- Follow and maintain established procedures on cross-contamination and infectious materials.
- Inspect laundry on a daily basis to assure cleanliness.
- Disinfect clean carts, soiled carts and lids once a week.
- Clean all equipment once a week.
- Clean lint traps in drains daily.
- Clean lint filter in dryer daily.
- Wash tablecloth and assist, if needed, with the pressing and folding of tablecloth.
- Take trash to dumpster.
- Participates in In-service training.
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
Job Requirements Work Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Works primarily indoors in a climate controlled setting.
- Team Members may be exposed to blood and/or body fluids with potential exposure to hazardous materials and infectious diseases.
- Possible exposure to unpleasant odors.
- Possible exposure to chemicals as identified in the MSDS Manual.
- Continuous exposure to residents who are ill, confused, irritable and irrational.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to meet these demands:
1. Ability to endure prolonged walking, sitting, standing, use of pulling, bending, and stooping movements.
2. Ability to adapt to changes in daily work hour and schedule.
3. Ability to lift/carry a minimum of thirty-five (35) pounds.
4. Ability to push/pull more than thirty-five (35) pounds.
5. Ability to perform tasks which require arm-hand steadiness.
6. Ability to walk and stand for prolonged periods of time through duration of shift(s)
7. Ability to squat, climb stairs, reach above shoulders, twist, bend and kneel repeatedly through duration of shift(s).
8. Ability to hear normal sounds within background noise.
9. Ability to keep attention on task if routinely interrupted.
10. Ability to remember tasks/assignments for a full shift.
11. Ability to work beyond regularly scheduled shift (overtime) when necessary.Safe Work Performance Expectations
The safety of employees, residents and visitors is of paramount importance to Volunteers of America. Our work place safety program will be incorporated as the standard of practice for this organization. Compliance with these safe work expectations will be required of all employees as a condition of employment. Our organization focus will hold all employees accountable for safety performance equal with quality and production expectations.Employees will be expected to:
1. Follow correct policy and procedures for department and facility Fire/Disaster/Missing Person Plan. Know the location of fire alarms and extinguishers.
2. Follow correct policy and procedure for hand washing.
3. Follow guidelines for proper method of lifting.
4. All doorways, hallways and areas are to be kept clear.
5. Know the location and purpose of Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
6. Follow guidelines for department environment and safety measures.
7. Follow guidelines for safe handling, inspection, maintenance and storage of equipment. Report any malfunction of equipment.
8. Follow guidelines for safe handling and storage of chemicals and supplies.
9. Follow correct policy and procedure for reporting of incidents: staff, residents, etc.
10. Follow correct procedure for food handling/storage and sanitation.Job Functions
Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of this position. However, this job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you may be required to perform. The omission of specific descriptions of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or can be considered essential to this position.