American Sign Language Instructor
Requisition Number: 43871
Location: Boulder Colorado
Employment Type: Faculty
Schedule: Full Time
Posting Close Date:
The Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences (SLHS) is searching for two ASL instructors for full-time 9-month positions to teach undergraduate ASL courses. These are non-tenure track, instructor positions and will be available in August 2023. The department consistently ranks very high in the U.S. News and World Reports' ranking of Speech Language Pathology and Audiology programs.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
Located in beautiful Boulder, Colorado, the Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences offers a broad range of student training in ASL, speech & hearing sciences, clinical practice, and research. The program offers ASL courses to meet foreign language requirements at the undergraduate level. SLHS also offers an undergraduate major, an undergraduate minor, a master’s degree in Speech Language Pathology, a doctorate of audiology, and a Ph.D. program, among others.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
What You Should Know
- Teach a total of three 4-credit sections of American Sign Language at the undergraduate level each semester (fall and spring) with an option to teach in the summer for additional pay.
- Prepare, revise, and develop course content and curriculum.
- Evaluate, grade, and provide constructive feedback on student performance.
- Meet with individual students as needed.
- Participate in department/program/committee meetings. Examples include:
- Develop information about ASL courses on SLHS website (e.g., placement exam, ASL club, FAQ, etc.).
- Revise course objectives for all levels of ASL courses.
- Coordinate online courses for ASL with SLHS.
- Arrange events (e.g., conversation table, craft, international films) with ALTEC.
- Work on specific tasks with organizations (Colorado Commission Foreign Language Teachers, American Sign Language Teachers Association, etc.).
- Provide service to the department.
- Discuss students’ performance, accommodations, and enrollment/placement with department/program/advisor.
All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to comply with the campus COVID-19 vaccine requirement
. New employees must provide proof of vaccination or receive a medical or religious exemption within 30 days of employment. What We Can Offer
The salary range for these positions is $54,000 - $56,000. Benefits
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
. Be Statements
Be impactful. Be inclusive. Be Boulder. What We Require
- Master’s degree in Teaching ASL, Sign Language Education, Deaf Studies, Linguistics, or related field.
- Three year of teaching experience.
- Native or near-native proficiency level in ASL.
- Knowledge of the linguistics structure of ASL.
- Extensive knowledge of Deaf culture.
- Experience in using and developing different curriculum and digital pedagogy.
- Knowledge of and ability to use various software programs for teaching and research not limited to: LMS, Zoom, PowerPoint or Keynote, and Final Cut Pro X or iMovie.
- Excellence in communicating through writing and/or in person with students/departments/programs/advisors.
- Evidence of positive relationships, collaboration, and collegiality with students, staff, and colleagues.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- Transcripts/Proof of Degree
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy summarized in ASL (include link to a You Tube video at the end of your written statement)
During the application process you will need to enter contact information for three references who will be contacted to provide letters of recommendation as the search progresses.
For full consideration please apply by November 30, 2022. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs
Select here for additional information regarding Classified Staff positions: https://www.colorado.edu/jobs/special-instructions-classified-staff-applicants To apply, visit https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/American-Sign-Language-Instructor/43871
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.