The Area Manager is responsible for coordinating, leading, supervising, monitoring, retaining and controlling the Department human and physical resources in a specific area of responsibility to ensure that the MGH Hospital's facilities are maintained in a safe, orderly, sanitary, and eye appealing condition for the benefit of patients, visitors and staff. All methods of practice must be in accordance with Federal, State and Local directives, regulations and guidelines governing our facility along with MGH policies and procedures.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Relevant activities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Interviews, selects and hires non-exempt staff.
- Provide initial and on-going orientation for all staff; and assists in annual training to meet Infection Control, OSHA, DPH and the JC standards (including Emergency Response, Blood Borne Pathogens, Hazardous Communication Standard, and confidentiality of patient information (HIPAA).
- Advises staff on internal policies and procedures, acts as liaison with the Human Resources Department, assists in staff self-development, conducts performance evaluations and issues merit review pay raises utilizing PEOPLESOFT.
- Utilize the Corrective Action Policies to ensure compliance with existing directives and work standards.
- As payroll timekeeper, maintains and approves the electronic (KRONOS) payroll system. Utilizing the data from the KRONOS system, he/she will analyze data and run reports to detect trends, individual as well as group.
- Coordinates and motivates Group Leaders and a staff of 20 - 25 (occasionally 40 - 50) to ensure goals and objectives are met. Incumbent may manage a project crew to maintain cyclical programs and one-time initiatives as well as reporting completed activities.
- Provides and educates staff with cleaning chemicals, equipment and instructions on their proper usage to perform daily assignments in accordance with SDS sheets and the "Right To Know" Law. May be required to test, evaluate, and make recommendations on new and current products; make presentations and conduct training seminars as new products are introduced throughout the Institution.
- Conducts daily assessments of responsible areas to interact with other Departments and individual tenants to ensure optimal delivery of service and highest degree of customer satisfaction. Inspect areas of responsibility to ensure established cleaning standards are maintained. Conduct quality control audits via department-approved program.
- Reports and submits required documentation for repairs to the Buildings and Grounds Department (Maintenance Department) and outside vendors.
- Ensures the proper and safe disposal of Regulated Waste, Pathological and Chemotherapy Waste in accordance with Federal, State, and Local directives.
- Coordinates the set-up of conference/function/meeting rooms to meet the specific needs (configuration) of the activity taking place including furnishings.
- Compiles and maintains a variety of statistics and trends, which are consolidated into reports for submission and presentation to Management both within and outside the Department.
- Conducts monthly internal staff meeting as well as representing and participating in inter/intra Departmental meetings.
- Supports, encourages and participates in the MGH recycling program in accordance with HIPAA Regulations and Guidelines.
- Provides data for the development of the annual and capital budgets regarding supplies, equipment and personnel. Ensures budget compliance and adheres to targets.
- Responds to the MGH in the event a Code Disaster is declared and performs a variety of functions including the set-up of Decontamination Tent. May also be required to provide staff support for the movement of supplies, personnel and equipment, manage site responsibility in the event of internal disasters and situations. He/She will be required to attend in-service training to maintain a proper level of readiness. These functions are under the direction of the Incident Commander by way of the Departmental Team Leader. Other exercises that participation will be required include Code Pink and Code Red.
- Augments the licensed pest control specialist by responding to a sighting and documenting findings plus any corrective action taken.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Strong ability to effectively interact with all levels of personnel in the organization
- Strong organizational skills to handle multiple tasks in a busy environment
- Skill in establishing priorities
- Knowledge of budget procedures
- Ability to develop, plan and implement short and long range goals
- Skill in the use of computers, preferably in a PC, Windows-based operating environment. Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to foster a positive working environment
- Ability to supervise and train staff, including organizing, prioritizing and scheduling work assignments
- Knowledge of employee hiring procedures
- Employee development and performance management skills
- Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
B.A./B.S. preferred or 5 years' equivalent managerial experience.
Experience in healthcare housekeeping or facilities management preferred.
Certificate CMIP preferred
Must be customer service oriented.EEO Statement
MassachusettsGeneral Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverseskills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applicationsfrom protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are stronglyencouraged.
This job has expired.