Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that’s run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand – our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We’ve built our brand on staying true to our roots while always being out in front of what’s next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we’re headed, we’d love to have you join us.
About the role
The Assistant Merchandiser is responsible for partnering with the Sr. Merchandiser in the development of the Omni Merchandise Strategy to meet the commercial needs of the global/ regional business. The Assistant Merchandiser will partner with cross-functional teams in the development of the seasonal merchandise strategy. Initiatives include supporting Sr. Merchandiser on assortment strategies, weekly business review and product recaps, management of assortment tool, average unit cost management, pricing and product architecture, test and respond, market hind-sighting, and sample management. This role will be part of the Global Divisional Product Merchant Team and partner with Design, Production, Inventory Management, Online, Visual, and Marketing and will collaborate with the field to bridge the gap between HQ + Field to align on creating product strategies from the customer lens.
What you'll do
- Assist with the development of the assortments which align to overall department strategy, resulting in increased earnings.
- Partner with Design and Production on product strategies and requirements to ensure customer needs are met, profitability, and speed to market.
- Partner with Inventory Management on seasonal investment strategy by market to ensure big ideas and growth drivers are protected.
- Create visuals for cross-function team to execute in the weekly business review and line planning.
- Own the creation and maintenance of assortment tool and visual recap, season code, size model, and time on offer at the style level and capture in the global assortment tool.
- Communicate and present out on seasonal strategies in a collaborative way to key cross-functional team members to ensure innovation and financial success is a focus.
- Responsible for historical performance to recap and present business to determine successes and opportunities within the business.
- Accountable for the sample process which includes all aspects of sample management.
- Keep samples organized and up to date for use in merchant presentations.
- Facilitate sample requests from business partners.
- Gather all samples no longer needed and uses appropriate forms for transferring out.
Who you are
- Financial Acumen – knowledge of and ability to impact financial outcomes.
- Data Integrity – understands the importance of accuracy in all assortment and financial details.
- Analytic Thinker – thinks strategically, conceptually, and creatively.
- Retail Math – understanding of Retail Math.
- Product-Focused – has a passion and point of view regarding product and trends.
- Customer Oriented – can demonstrate a sense of having the customer as a point of focus.
- Team Oriented – experience working in a team environment.
- Dealing with Ambiguity – experience working through significant change and transformation.
- Detail Oriented – understands the importance of details, priority setting, and multi-tasking.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related discipline or equivalent trade experience.
- 1-2 years of Merchandising Experience or Retail Experience.
Benefits at Gap
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we've been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.