Cash & Capital Construction Accountant
Requisition Number: 44384
Location: Boulder Colorado
Employment Type: University Staff
Schedule: Full Time
Posting Close Date: 29-Jan-2023
We are encouraging applications for a Cash & Capital Construction Accountant to join our team! This position will: a) assure proper accounting for the General, Auxiliary, Agency, Gift, Renewal & Replacement, Retirement of Indebtedness (ROI), Inventories, Capital Construction, and Investment In Plant (IIP) funds at the University of Colorado at Boulder; b) provide consulting, training, and mentoring to campus personnel on the use of the finance system and the business processes associated therewith, including departmental roles and responsibilities in the administration of its funds; c) assist campus personnel in facilitating accounting management and control of fiscal operations and resources; d) provide timely and accurate reports and related information to all external constituencies, to all levels of UCB's management, and for the University's annual reports; e) interface and reconcile with the State of Colorado's Financial Reporting System (CORE); f) manage subsystems related to the general accounting operations, and Property Accounting System (PSAM).
This role will perform the following duties campus-wide: a) Record State Long Bill capital construction project activities, create monthly and quarterly reports; review construction project statements. b) To be the campus accounting expert resource for departmental staff in the above areas, provide training for departmental staff in these areas, and train student auditors of petty cash and change funds. This position will have the authority to make decisions within their areas of responsibility and to improve upon their area's work processes. The position will interact with state and university controller staff, campus departmental staff, and academic researchers. The position is expected to be self-directed once the initial learning curve is overcome.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Campus Controller's Office (CCO) maintains and supports the university's fiscal responsibility through accurate financial accounting and reporting and is in compliance with laws, regulations, policies/procedures, and contract requirements for sponsored projects. We provide oversight, assistance, and training in financial stewardship for the Boulder campus.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
CCO Core Initiative:
Capital Construction Accounting
Cash management accounting:
- Respond to departmental questions regarding the appropriateness of their project for Fund 71 Capital Construction, and advise on options if not appropriate. Process Fund 71 inactivation requests once the project is completed. Create capitalization/expense JE for the Construction In Progress using GAAP, GASB, State, CU, and Campus standards, determine Fund 74 entry variables, review costs from established reports, and enter into PSAM.
- Monitor State Long Bill projects to obtain reimbursements from the state, the goal is to not have CU's carrying cost exceed $1 million dollars. Work with CU Treasurer and State Treasurer's Offices to create and process reimbursement wire transfers in the CORE system for the State's share of bills paid directly by the University. Update the CORE/People Soft cross-reference spreadsheet. Prepare PeopleSoft JE to book revenue and receivable. Assure that the outstanding encumbrances do not exceed the current level of spending authority (state term for budget) remaining.
- Assure State project appropriation revenue is reconciled to project expenditures on a monthly basis for State Long Bill Funded Projects. Contact FM Accounting and work out any variances.
- Annually, review the Legislative Long Bill for new appropriations and phases of continuing projects. Keep CCO and Facilities Management managers informed of projects expiring that are in jeopardy of losing appropriated funds.
CCO Core Initiative:
- Maintain the master list of Petty Cash, Gift Cards, and Change Funds authorized by the CCO, process requests for new funds using campus guidelines, modify amounts as needed, and close-out funds as appropriate. Review funds monthly to ensure they are within their authorized amounts and the expenses are per CU guidelines.
- Coordinate the teams that conduct audits of large change funds and the Gift Card/Petty Cash funds held by campus departments. Report the results of the cash count, describes any discrepancies, review the accuracy of financial data, verify the physical count to the account balances in the PeopleSoft system, recommend effective internal control procedures, and ensure that the activities follow State and University fiscal rules and the existing policies and procedures.
CCO Core Initiative:
- Provide regular training to custodians of PCCF/GC & Gift Funds and monitor the PCCF/GC audits to ensure they are being done per CU guidelines. Train new PCCF/GC auditors on CU guidelines that helps them understand the big picture as well as the processes they follow.
- Encourage campus customers to recommend changes to the cash, gift card, and construction work flow. Evaluate customer ideas with them and CCO appropriate staff to see if the changes will improve upon the existing processes.
- Maintain good communication with supervisor and system wide colleagues. Just as you engage your customers, you should also work to keep your supervisor and system wide colleagues involved.
- Assist department custodians with reconciliation of their funds when they get out of balance. Help them to learn how to keep their funds in balance.
What You Should Know
- Time allotted to special projects assigned by CCO management and various duties that could include assisting other staff in the CCO – Debt & Asset Management unit with projects as necessary for the good of the unit.
- Maintain archival records for construction project files per state and campus guidelines.
- We anticipate this position will support a hybrid format (in-person/remote work), two days a week working in the office. Other in-office work days as needed.
What We Can Offer
- All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to comply with the campus COVID-19 vaccine requirement.
- New employees must provide proof of vaccination or receive a medical or religious exemption within 30 days of employment.
- Salary: $59,000 to $61,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
. Be Statements
Be driven. Be strategic. Be Boulder. What We Require
What You Will Need
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in accounting or related field.
- One plus years of professional accounting work experience.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute.
- Knowledge of auditing procedures and best practices for handling petty cash, gift card, and change fund accounts.
- Proven ability to develop solutions to a variety of problems of moderate scope and complexity using existing policies and practices as a guide.
- Proven ability to explain policies and best practices to departmental staff.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time. Please apply by January 29, 2023, for consideration. Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs.
Select here for additional information regarding Classified Staff positions: https://www.colorado.edu/jobs/special-instructions-classified-staff-applicants To apply, visit https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/Cash-Capital-Construction-Accountant/44384
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.