The Clinical Laboratory Assistant performs a variety of clerical and technical duties under general
supervision. Reports to a Laboratory Supervisor or Manager. Responsibilities include receipt, accessioning,
centrifugation and decanting of patient specimens, and communicating with clinicians at the Front Window
and over the phone for this position.
• Greets and assists visitors to the Front Window.
• Sorts and prioritizes samples that arrive at the Front Window and the pneumatic tube system.
• Receives patient specimens:
o Retrieves electronic orders by scanning bar-coded specimens, verify information in the
system matches the labels, and update collection date/time, if necessary.
• Accessions patient specimens:
o Accurately enters information from requisition (including patient name, unit number,
requesting area, time sample drawn, physician's name, tubes received, tests requested,
general comments) into computer.
o Affixes bar-coded labels to requisition and tubes.
• Operate automated pre-analytic sample processing instrumentation
• Transfers samples from racks to centrifuges and decant station.
• Decants and sorts specimens.
• Responds to telephone inquiries regarding patient test results and related information as part of the
general laboratory workflow.
• Processes add-on requests:
o Locates sample, add tests to the accession, and responds to electronic request from the
• Faxes reports as requested per lab protocol.
• May pre-process specimens for testing.
• Sorts and files any requisitions.
• Follows department Cancel, Credit, Refuse protocols.
• Assists laboratory management with special projects relating to Front Office operations as assigned.
• Maintains safe and clean working environment.
• High School Diploma or equivalent.
• Previous laboratory, healthcare or customer service experience preferred.
• Experience with computers, including Microsoft Windows software.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills so as to be able to interact effectively with individuals in
the lab and the hospital.
• Promotes a positive working environment and demonstrates an appropriate level of professionalism.
• Ability to multitask and work accurately under stress of time constraints and heavy workload demands.
• Neat and orderly work habits.
• Attention to detail.
• Manual dexterity and visual accuracy.
• Energy level sufficient to on occasion spend many hours per day "moving" samples.
• Accurate computer skills
• Ability to read, write and speak English sufficiently to communicate with patients and laboratory and
WORKING CONDITIONS: Describe the conditions in which the work is performed.
Working environment is a clinical laboratory. Handles potentially biohazardous body fluid
samples (including blood, urine, CSF) from patients and animals (research samples). Work
environment at times may be hectic or stressful. There may also be prolonged periods of sitting
or standing, and some duties may require lifting of up to 20 lbs.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
Posted 8 minutes ago
Posted 7 minutes ago
Posted 7 minutes ago
Subscribe to job alerts and add your resume to our resume database for employers!