There's never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won't happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
General Motors is seeking an experienced IT Counsel to join its Detroit based Legal Staff. The IT Counsel will be responsible for providing legal advice and services to the global IT organization and to company groups and functions in connection with all aspects of IT contracting, sourcing, and compliance for IT infrastructure such as:
Additional Job DescriptionRequired Education and Experience:
- Drafting, negotiating, and interpreting agreements for software licensing and maintenance, hardware purchasing and leasing, telecommunications services, software services, and IT consulting
- Collaborating with global purchasing and other relevant departments in the management of IT agreements and other company agreements or projects with a significant IT component
- Working closely with the IT team and other relevant subject matter experts to develop and implement processes and programs for IT regulatory compliance
- Collaborating with colleagues responsible for privacy, cybersecurity, and customer connected services to provide advice and develop policies relating to information sharing, data protection, acceptable use, best practices, and security
- Working within cross functional teams to implement IT support for joint ventures, acquisitions, mergers, divestitures, and internal startups
- Maintaining expertise in the areas of information technology, technology contracting, telecommunications, open source software, information technology risk mitigation, and any other IT areas of interest to the company
- JD from an accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in Michigan or eligible to gain a license in Michigan within 6 months of employment.
- At least six years of law firm and/or in-house IT practice providing counsel to corporate clients
- Subject matter expertise in software, hardware, IT services and/or telecommunications services procurement
- Significant experience negotiating agreements with IT vendors
- Excellent breadth and depth of knowledge in U.S. IT law practice and trends
Desired traits and characteristics:
- Preference for significant experience in a law firm serving multiple corporate clients
- Experience with automotive or manufacturing IT programs and issues
- Experience with enterprise-level software and services agreements
- Open source implementation and integration
- Counseling on information security, cyber security and privacy issues and regulations
- Development of acceptable practices for user tools and social platforms
- Ability to proactively work with the IT team and other stakeholders to identify and manage key IT issues or projects
- Ability to develop and convey legal advice in a practical way recognizing the company's business objectives
- Very strong verbal and written communication skills particularly in clearly and concisely describing IT issues to non-IT professionals
- Ability to collaborate across a number of legal groups and business functions and to demonstrate leadership through teamwork
- Ability to work independently and provide management summaries of activities
- Ability to negotiate and reach consensus with third party suppliers based on company policies, strategic goals, and transaction scope and risk
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.Diversity Information
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us atCareers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
This job has expired.