Do you have a passion for Science? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you're our kind of person.
About AstraZeneca in Waltham, MA:
Our Waltham, Massachusetts facility develops life changing small-molecule research in North America, with innovative laboratories at the Gatehouse Park BioHub, just west of the city center. Our BioHub facility supports a bold new R&D initiative, which fosters life science discoveries and the exchange of ideas. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration. With a shuttle bus to and from Alewife station, the location provides you the ability to work in the heart of one of the world's most vibrant research centers.
Our Waltham site offers a variety of amenities to help book productivity and help keep our employees happy and engaged. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you'll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams and the greater research community.
Summary of the group:
Pharmaceutical Sciences is a department within AstraZeneca Biopharmaceuticals R&D with a mission to transform molecules into investigational medicines, meeting the unmet needs of future patients. Advanced Drug Delivery is a department within Pharmaceutical Sciences. Our portfolio of projects spans traditional small molecules, peptides, oligonucleotides to RNA-based therapeutics across AstraZeneca's therapy areas and our mission is to transform diverse modalities into investigational medicines.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
We are looking for a highly motivated chemist with a strong foundation in the delivery sciences to join the dynamic Advanced Drug Delivery group, engaging in the new modality projects in AstraZeneca pipeline. Main responsibilities for this role include:
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Designing, synthesizing, purifying and analyzing novel lipids for lipid nano-particle based delivery platform with minimum supervision; Generating, evaluating and reporting data clearly and reliably.
- Acting as the key delivery chemist/formulation subject matter expert in project teams for the delivery of nucleic acid therapeutics; Providing data interpretation and making recommendations to project leaders and other stakeholders.
- Collaborating with other Advanced Drug Delivery teams in Sweden & the UK.
- Presenting data at internal AstraZeneca meetings and occasionally at external meetings.
- Leading cross-site, cross-functional projects and workstreams.
- PhD degree in Polymer Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences or related scientific disciplines with 5-10 years post-graduation experience in a pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology environment.
- Demonstrated ability in designing and optimizing synthetic strategies and approaches of lipids and/or polymers
- Proficiency with analytical and physicochemical characterization of novel materials (e.g. NMR, LC/MS, particle sizer, various separation technologies)
- Solid understanding of novel delivery technologies including but not limited to microspheres, lipid based formulation, nanoparticles
- Track record of scientific excellence in terms of scientific publications, patents, and/or conference presentations
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical new modalities (e.g. oligonucleotides, RNA, DNA, peptides, proteins)
- Experience with new modalities (e.g. oligonucleotides, RNA, DNA, peptides, proteins)
- Experience with outsourcing
- Experience with formulation and pharmaceutical sciences
- Experience with bio-conjugation
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.So, what's next!
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it's yours.Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en