At Elsevier we are building something special. As we try to do things right, we are working to build a culture that values the rightness of good DevOps - the speed, agility, cost savings, higher quality, etc. If you want to work us as we learn and grow, and if you want a leadership team who gets DevOps and why it's important, click on the "Apply Now" button and share your wins and contact details with us.
DevOps is a key position within the Technology, Infrastructure, and Operations group. The incumbent in this role will play a critical part in developing a Centre of Excellence responsible for delivering shared solutions for infrastructure operations across our estate. To fill this role successfully, the candidate will need a strong background in cloud technologies, DevOps, and infrastructure automation, as well as a deep understanding of a broad set of modern scripting and OO programming languages. AWS skills are a big plus.
In addition to the technical skills required in this position, a well-developed sense for working with people is important. As a member of the DevOps team, you'll be working with a broad swathe of contributors across Elsevier's Technology organization, as well as a number of key folks in our vendors' services and technologies teams. Importantly, we're looking for an evangelist, a leader, a partner, and a teammate. A person that can talk the talk and walk the walk. The formal part of the description is below.
Responsibilities (fancy words describing SRE/DevOps things you'll need to be good at):
- Provide hands-on technical direction to support the team and support the growth and development of the team.
- Pair strategic objectives with the professional growth plans of your team members.
- Serve as a key interface with the various technology organizations.
- Remove impediments, provide support, and generally being a good leader for those around you.
- Ensure optimal construction and implementation of CI/CD pipelines.
- Build automation supporting the effective management and consumption of cloud resources.
- Design and author soft infrastructure assets using IaC best practices.
- Collaborate effectively within agile dev squads delivering continuous improvements in customer outcomes.
- Provide effective solutions through the applied integration of infrastructure, software, and software delivery best practices.
- Operate and maintain software systems across the full breadth of the SDLC.
Must Haves (things we'll ask you to tell us about when we talk):
- 5+ years DevOps experience in large, multi-product environments.
- 5+ years using modern scripting and OO programming languages as a contributing member within an agile dev squad.
- 3+ years authoring CI/CD pipelines, automation elements related to infrastructure composition, deployment orchestration, and monitoring.
- 3+ years leading people.
Nice to Haves (even more things it'd be great if you knew about):
- Experience in AWS Architecture ideally with an accreditation.
- Experience using Terraform as an AWS automation technology.
- Experience deploying configuration management via Puppet.
- Experience with Kubernetes and containerization of applications.
- Experience running and managing big data systems like SOLR, ElasticSearch and Neo4J.
- Comfortable presenting and communicating ideas to key stakeholders and engineers alike.
- Experience of cloud migration activities either Public or Private.
- Hands on experience of implementing infrastructure and service based monitoring solutions.
- A good understanding of the security controls required to host applications and services in the cloud.
- A good understanding of release management techniques within a cloud hosted environment.
- Source code version control systems, e.g. GitHub.
Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or if you are based in the US you may also contact us on 1.855.833.5120.
This job has expired.