Job DescriptionAre you ready to grow your dream career while making others' vacation dreams come true? Marriott Vacations Worldwide is a world premier organization for Vacation Ownership with resorts at destinations around the globe. Join our team and help deliver unforgettable experiences that make vacation dreams come true.
As a member of the professional staff, contributes a high level of specialized knowledge and skill in a discipline (e.g. Accounting, Finance, Human Resources, Information Resources, Operations Planning & Support, Resort Operations, Sales & Marketing) area to support department and/or function objectives. Generally, works with considerable independence, developing operating plans and related operational processes for own department in alignment with broader business objectives.
Specific Job Summary
The Director, Asset Management has responsibility for developing or optimizing existing business plans and managing all day-to-day aspects of project execution to achieve stated business objectives against four strategic pillars: financial, customer, process, and associate. Scope ranges from: 1) new acquisitions to and resort openings to sold out resorts, 2) small single-phase to large multi-phase projects, 3) single product to complex mixed-used developments, and 4) wholly owned to joint ventures and other types of development partnerships.
For each assigned project, the Director, Asset Management is required to have a broad, systemic understanding of all operating and financial aspects of assigned projects. This position drives performance against stated objectives across processes within MVW (included M&S, Resort Operations, IRM, iDP and the enabling functions) and with external parties including JV partners, lenders, landlords, and tenants (as applicable).
For resort openings, the Director, Asset Management has full responsibility for all aspects of new operations planning including: i) development of operating economics (e.g. pre-opening budget, initial operating and reserve budget, and ancillary plan, as applicable), ii) laying out the vacation experience plan (e.g. theming, design support, and facilities program), and iii) coordinating corporate and field operations team input on management and operating agreements that will govern ongoing resort operations.
This position is expected to work with Directors, Senior Directors, and Vice President of Asset Management to manage large transactions (e.g. mixed-use development projects, multi-branded projects) as well as smaller projects (e.g. management transitions, new ancillary businesses, developer-owned asset use changes, leasing, etc.) with limited supervision.
The position will support West and Hawaii regions and will be based in the West Region with travel as necessary to meet assigned goals.
Specific Expected Contributions
- Develops operating plans and workable business processes for own department in alignment with function strategy.
- Manages larger business processes and/or projects, setting priorities and measurable objectives, monitoring and reporting on the process, progress and results.
- Responds to, solves and makes decisions on business requests that have broader department impact and/or moderate risk. Presents alternative solutions to business issues by leveraging the broader organization.
- Responsible for own work and contributing to team, department and/or business results. May direct work of non-management staff. Typically influences work of cross-functional or extended teams.
- Assists more senior associates in achieving business results by:
- acting in a consultative fashion to implement programs impacting the broader organization.
- assisting in the development and communication of broader organizational goals.
- achieving results against budget within scope of responsibility.
- taking calculated risks to move the department or team forward.
- developing and using systems to organize and keep track of information.
- balancing the interests of own group with the interests of the organization.
- working with others to identify and remove barriers to success.
- Readily critiques own behavior to acknowledge mistakes and improve future leadership performance and acts independently to improve and increase skills and knowledge.
- Performs other duties as appropriate.
Business Strategy & Planning
- Provides support to VP, Asset Management in setting of overall business strategy for projects assigned.
- Collaborates with stakeholders across disciplines and enabling processes to develop holistic or individual process business plans to achieve stated objectives or optimize performance.
- As requested, supports VP, Asset Management in working with Development, Business Planning, F&A, Legal workout specialists to develop, recommend, gain approval and implement strategies to enhance the performance or mitigate the risk of projects not meeting MVW's approved metrics.
- Key business planning team member for new projects prior to approval and the execution team from project approval through resort opening.
- Collaborates with corporate and regional operations team to develop operating plans for new resort and changes to operating plans at existing resorts.
- Uses analytical tools and techniques produced by financial planning and analysis to ensure operating plans are efficient, effective, and in line with market conditions.
- Engages in close partnerships with RVPs, Area Directors, and Area GMs to drive operational excellence, organizational effectiveness, and continually address market level operations trends and opportunities in support of new resorts.
Analysis & Performance Monitoring
- Works with VP, Asset Management to establish key project performance metrics, including the provision of financial and business analysis.
- Monitors project performance (operational and financial) against project budgets and delivery schedules on an ongoing basis; ensure early identification and resolution of risks / issues.
- Prepares or coordinates financial analysis, as necessary, to help guide decision-making or identify solutions to key business challenges.
- Leads cross-process teams to establish targets and milestone schedules and drive execution to achieve stated objectives and measures. Manages risks and opportunities.
- Maintains project databases, where relevant, to ensure all project information and governance requirements are maintained.
- Leads cross-process updates, as necessary, including Business Planning, F&A, iDP, IRM, M&S, and Resort Operations to ensure alignment on key issues and deliverables.
- Prepares regular updates to VP, Asset Management, SVP Vacation Ownership, and Executive Leadership.
Joint Venture & Third-Party Management
- Collaborates with M&S, Resort Operations, F&A, Legal and third-party, as requested, to maximize the value of developer-owned commercial spaces and other assets.
- Supports VP, Asset Management in preparing regular joint venture project updates to ensuring alignment on key business issues and deliverables.
- Works with VP, Asset Management to administer joint venture partner meetings including preparation of agendas and key meeting content; ensures appropriate minutes and follow-up routines in place.
- Develops plans and delivers results by managing cross-process teams and working with and through external constituencies.
- Strong working relationships established with internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintain compliance with all third-party deal, debt, management, lease and other legal agreements.
- Early identification of business opportunities and challenges; lead internal teams to resolve issues and leverage opportunities to optimize performance.
- Timely identification and communication of potential changes of business plan to secure necessary MVW and MI approvals. Lead change management efforts as required to enhance project performance.
- Integrate approved changes into coordinated MVW business plans to enhance financial results.
- Prepare formal requests for approval of new business plans or changes to existing business plans to gain approval from Executives or Executive Committees as appropriate.
Successful candidates should possess knowledge and experience and demonstrate strong leadership and relationship skills as follows:
Generally, a professional position requiring significant knowledge and experience in one or more disciplines and/or business operations as well as associate and/or organizational management experience. College degree and/or relevant experience generally required.Specific Candidate Profile
- Extensive experience gained within MVW or Marriott International preferred.
- Experience in timeshare or hospitality an advantage.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience with a preference for operations or finance & accounting.
- Experience as a manager or managers is plus.
- Strong project management skills demonstrated by experience leading projects using a strong knowledge of planning, dealing with cross functional teams, and executing complex projects.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate and balance priorities, work resources and activities for the benefit of multiple key stakeholders.
- Strong leadership, management, and communication skills required
- Demonstrated business and financial acumen with proven analytical skills.
- Strong verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Collaborative, inclusive predisposition toward problem solving.
- Ability to conduct successful, senior-level business discussions in a variety of cultures.
- Professional demeanor - exhibiting behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others, making a good first impression and representing MVW in alignment with its values
- Delivers results and ability to balance priorities under pressure.
- History of consistently delivering business results.
Marriott Vacations Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture