The Director of University Catering is responsible for all aspects of catering events and related services. The Director exercises leadership and management skills to provide innovative and efficient services, ensure excellence, and maintain high levels of satisfaction for students, faculty, staff, and guests through exemplary customer service and sound financial practices. The director is the primary overseer and leader for significant campus events such as commencement, reunion, and other broad initiatives.
Provides senior leadership, supervision, and management of catering services to the University community.
- Develops and documents best practices to ensure efficiency and consistency in department operations and customer service.
- Develops and implements a comprehensive marketing and strategic plan for catering to include the marketing budget and website updates.
- Keeps abreast of industry trends and the evolving needs and preferences of customers to present new and different products and concepts to increase customer satisfaction and to garner market share.
- Identifies new opportunities, revenue streams, and technologies within the industry.
- Creates an environment which encourages maximum productivity, positive employee morale, teamwork, engagement, and open communication.
- Develops staff training and programs for teams and individuals in collaboration with executive director.
- Represents and promotes the interest of the university and the department with a strategic perspective.
- Ensures compliance with university and departmental policies. Provides oversight for catering software.
Oversees the conceptualization, planning, and implementation of catering events to support the academic and operational needs of the university.
- Oversees department logistics for event management and commissary truck delivery.
- Drives creative and aesthetic decisions; develops new creative concepts and presentation ideas based on market trends and customer preferences.
- Collaborates with executive chef on menu design and food cost pricing analysis.
- Ensures compliance with Virginia ABC laws and regulations to include distributions, service, security, inventory, and reporting.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable health and safety regulations.
- Coordinates and leads special projects for the department, as assigned.
Manages the financial operations of University Catering, including developing and monitoring budgets, managing revenues and expenditures to meet established goals, and overseeing accounting responsibilities.
- Ensures compliance with established financial and procurement processes.
- Develops reports and annual budgets, and monitors monthly financial statements.
- Analyzes benchmarking data and ensures standards are at satisfactory levels or above.
- Maintains responsibility for all financial assets of the department, including all physical inventory and petty cash.
- Establishes and maintains high quality standards for customer service, planning, and logistics. Responds to changing needs and institutional priorities.
- Promotes a positive relationship with all internal and external customers.
- Develops evaluation mechanisms and metrics data. Analyzes anecdotal and performance metrics data to continually improve programs and services.
- Collaborates with service providers in Events and Support Services, Campus Business Operations, Information Technology, University Police, Parking Services and other departments to assess and continuously improve systems, processes, and technology.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Understanding of higher education infrastructure, missions, and operations with the ability to communicate and establish relationships across a spectrum of faculty, staff, and students.
- Experience in planning and executing high profile events and conferences.
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- In depth knowledge of food and beverage, and all aspects of catering planning and execution with demonstrated creativity. Thorough knowledge of best practices in catering management.
- Ability to learn and use current technologies. Knowledgeable in the use of catering-related computer software.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards, tact, and diplomacy to work with the University's hierarchy; maintains confidentiality.
- Ability to apply critical thinking, exercise flexibility, and work calmly and efficiently under pressure.
- Effective management of diverse human resource needs. Training and delegation skills.
- Excellent fiscal management skills.
- Required: Must have a valid Driver's License and be able to produce a driving record with a minimum of 3 years of driving history in good standing
- Bachelor degree in hotel, hospitality, or event management, or related field, or combination of equivalent experience and training.
- Five or more years in a higher education setting preferred.
- Minimum of seven years' catering management experience.
- Minimum of three years' supervisory experience.
- Serve Safe certification and Alcohol Service Certification
- Full-time, exempt position
- Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; 7.75 hrs./day; 38.75 hrs./week; weekends and evenings as needed
Pay Grade 9 (Hiring Range $73,008.00 to $100,402.00 annually) ABOUT UR
At the University of Richmond, we're creative, inclusive, and determined. We're Spiders, and our mission is to create positive change in the UR community and beyond. Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond (www.richmond.edu) blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. There's only one place like Richmond.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE
This job has expired.