Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
SMU's more than 12,000 diverse, high-achieving students come from all 50 states and 90 countries to take advantage of the University's small classes, hands-on research opportunities, leadership development, community service, international study and innovative programs. The University offers a strong foundation in the humanities and sciences and undergraduate, graduate and professional degree programs through eight schools.
Now in its second century of achievement, SMU is increasingly recognized for the ways it supports students, faculty and alumni as they become ethical leaders in their professions and communities. On the most beautiful college campus in the country, SMU Mustangs are energized by unbridled opportunities - from teaching, learning and research to creativity, performance and athletic endeavor.
About the Department:
The Office of Research provides research services to all faculty and staff at the university.
About the Position:
This role is an on-campus, in-person position.
In concert with the University goal of commercializing SMU technologies, this position will develop and execute marketing strategies specific for SMU's intellectual property, generate analyses of new and existing IP for consideration by the University Intellectual Property Committee in their determination of matters related to protection and commercialization.
The Director will generate timely reports to demonstrate the current invention portfolio and provide financial forecasting recommendations to the Vice Provost for Research and the Intellectual Property Committee.
The position is also responsible for creating and maintaining policies and SOPs for invention disclosure, IP licensing, and technology transfer through IP licensing and IP development through start-ups.
- Assess SMU's current inventory of intellectual property, develop and implement targeted marketing and commercialization strategies. Work collaboratively with inventors and industry partners to identify and strategically prioritize SMU intellectual property portfolio.
- Generate cogent, data driven, oral and written reports to make recommendations, illustrate goals, milestones, progress, and potential challenges to the Associate Provost for Research and the Intellectual Property Committee in support of SMU's strategic commercialization efforts.
- Work closely with other Office of Research Directors to ensure compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal guidelines, and mitigation of potential challenges to any commercialization and licensing efforts.
- Supervise and manage Innovation Specialist(s) who provides administrative support. Assist, oversee, and provide direction for the creation and implementation of tools and inventor resources for training, as well as refinement and improvement of business operations
- Ensure the organization and maintenance of the intellectual property documentation related to federal compliance, contracts, invoices, legal documents, and sponsored projects.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree is required. Master's is preferred.
A minimum of seven years of professional work experience in a technology transfer role in higher education or a related function in industry is required.
Knowledge of STEM related research and/or technology transfer is strongly preferred. Experience managing complex IP issues desired. Experience in legal matters related to research and technology transfer is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Candidate must demonstrate strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate broadly across the University and develop and maintain effective relationships with a wide range of constituencies. Must also demonstrate strong written communication skills.
Candidate must possess strong problem-solving skills with the ability to identify and analyze problems, as well as devise innovative solutions. Must also have strong organizational, planning and time management skills. In depth knowledge of IP is preferred as is an understanding of a research environment, preferably in higher education.
Candidate must have a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Suite products (Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint). A working knowledge of Sharepoint is preferred. A working knowledge of Wellspring (Sophia) is a plus.
Physical and Environmental Demands:
- Sit for long periods of time
Deadline to Apply:
The position is open until filled.
SMU will not discriminate in any program or activity on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression. The Executive Director for Access and Equity/Title IX Coordinator is designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies and may be reached at the Perkins Administration Building, Room 204, 6425 Boaz Lane, Dallas, TX 75205, 214-768-3601, email@example.com.
SMU offers staff a broad, competitive array of health and related benefits. In addition to traditional benefits such as health, dental, and vision plans, SMU offers a wide range of wellness programs to help attract, support, and retain our employees whose work continues to make SMU an outstanding education and research institution.
SMU is committed to providing an array of retirement programs that benefit and protect you and your family throughout your working years at SMU and, if you meet SMU's retirement eligibility criteria, during your retirement years after you leave SMU.
The value of learning at SMU isn't just about preparing our students for the future. Employees have access to a wide variety of professional and personal development opportunities, including tuition benefits.
This job has expired.