There's never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won't happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
In recent years, GM Information Technology has successfully executed the largest IT transformation in the history of the automotive industry, fully insourcing what once was a nearly completely outsourced IT function. Today GM IT is a dynamic and fast paced organization that designs, develops and maintains all IT infrastructure, applications and solutions enabling GM's global operations. From designing and building the next generation of electric and other vehicles to developing a world-class GM experience for our dealers and customers, GM IT is driving real change in the most iconic automaker on the planet. Our team delivers unique enterprise-wide IT solutions in cutting-edge technologies such as mobility, telematics, mission-critical business systems, supercomputing, cloud, vehicle engineering and real-time computing. We offer challenging positions for passionate professionals looking to advance their careers and be a part of an IT organization focused on innovation, speed and business value.
About the Job:
Calling all Enterprise Storage Experts! This Enterprise Storage Architect role will be responsible and accountable for the system design and system management including but not limited to assigned domain. Design in this area involves working with business partners, predominantly development teams, to define global business solutions and pair IT standard technology and methodologies.
The role is capable of working with abstract and general direction to develop multifaceted solution architectures that comprehend and specify business, application, data and infrastructure designs. This is a leadership role responsible for setting direction at an organizational level across multiple technologies or domains. This role also requires the ability to lead global teams through formal and informal relationships to drive innovation and operational excellence.
Enterprise Storage Architect is accountable to work with project teams to develop robust system designs that meet the criteria for functionality, stability, performance and resiliency to deliver effective IT solutions for our business. These solutions may encompass numerous standard and new technologies and involve sophisticated designs requiring collaboration with senior engineering staff from across the company and from external vendors. The role may also be called upon for escalation of real-time incidents.
Communication and Collaboration Expectations:
- Maintains the enterprise storage strategy and architecture
- Review and evaluate emerging storage technologies and provide updates to team members as well as leadership as necessary
- Review storage trends as documented by market research companies and standards organizations including Gartner, IDC, SNIA and other institutions
- Perform storage technology impact assessment comparing current standard solutions with multiple alternatives
- Recommends storage solutions that target lowering cost, complexity, and risk while increasing efficiency and availability
- Initiate and provide oversight on product proof of concept exercises
- Evaluate POC results, and socialize with leadership
- Designs and Develops Storage Solutions to Solve Considerably Complex Problems
- Design and provide architectural and engineering oversight for all aspects of enterprise storage solutions design
- Capacity and data efficiency (data reduction technologies)
- Standards (APIs, end-to-end connectivity & multi-protocol support)
- Performance at multi-petabyte and greater scale
- Data protection, retention, and security
- Replication (local and geographically dispersed)
- Risk mitigation (storage cluster density/"blast radius")
- Data durability (raid / erasure coding) and high availability
- Operational efficiency and advanced automation, monitoring and alerting capabilities
- Storage firmware code stability & management
- Advanced to expert level knowledge of storage technologies such as NVMe, SCM, PMEM, ZNS, SMR, QLC, erasure coding, T10 diff, CXL
- Expert level capabilities in performing storage performance analysis and remediation recommendations
Additional Job DescriptionMinimum Requirements:
- Represents the storage team in regularly scheduled architectural review board approvals
- Works closely with application teams to interpret key business requirements and transform into storage infrastructure solutions
- Collaborates with other domain subject matter experts and application architects to solve complex storage related issues
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and written to interact with Senior Internal and External Personnel
- Ability to build effective presentations to educate and communicate sophisticated storage concepts and designs
- Works closely with suppliers to ensure the storage technology is effective and meets the current as well as future business requirements
- Self-starter who works independently to lead and develop the enterprise storage strategy and architecture
- Advises and trains junior staff in appropriate steps to diagnose, repair or remediate issues with systems in the assigned domain
- Coordinates and leads vendor response to incidents, and development of short and long term plans to address such issues as they exist in the environment
- Ensures IT standards are met, production readiness processes are followed and a quality system product is delivered and turned over to Production Support personnel
- Holds themselves and others accountable for demonstrating GMs values and cultural behaviors
Preferred Requirements: Storage Solutions Expertise:
- 10+ years of experience working with various storage technologies at an enterprise level
- Expert level knowledge of block, unstructured (file/NAS & Object), and data protection storage solutions, including but not limited to Dell Technologies, NetApp, DDN, HPE and IBM
- Expert level knowledge of data storage networking Broadcom (Brocade) and Cisco
- Sophisticated knowledge of software defined, scale-out storage solutions such as VSAN and PowerFlex or similar technologies
- Familiar with IP/Data Networking
- Familiar with Rest API and management platforms, such as swordfish, redfish
- Understanding of HCI infrastructure concepts, and platform hypervisors, such as Hyper-V, KVM, VMWare, and IBM Power
- IT Storage - Industry Expertise
- In-memory databases (Redis, Casandra, SAP HANA)
- Clustered enterprise databases including Oracle RAC and Postgres
- IoT and edge computing devices
- Streaming/messaging workloads including Kafka, & Apache Pulsar
- VMWare including VDI
- AI/Analytics workloads
- ELK stack
- PCF, Kubernetes & microservices, including PVCs, and CSI integration
- Acknowledged Authority on Storage for GM IT
*All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or protected veteran status.**Candidates in Metro-Detroit or Austin preferred.Benefits Overview
- Technologies and their uses in the assigned domain and general IT concepts
- System design principles to include reliability, availability, and scalability
- Peripheral domains
- How to leverage available resources to solve problems and deliver solutions
- On prem and hybrid cloud integration
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.Diversity Information
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us atCareers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
This job has expired.