Executive Director, Search and Evaluation, Oncology R&D
Location: Waltham, MA (US)
Do you want to be at the cutting edge of innovation that will lead to a cure for cancer? At AstraZeneca, our team is working to make this a reality by bringing together our world-leading oncology pipeline with emerging innovations and technologies.
We are seeking a scientifically minded leader who is passionate about innovation in Oncology to join AstraZeneca's Oncology R&D Search and Evaluation (S&E) group. AstraZeneca has grown to be a leader in Oncology through bold decisions in both our internal pipeline as well as business development. We aim to expand our leadership by leveraging external innovation and building strong scientific networks.
The Executive Director of Search and Evaluation, Oncology R&D, is a role in the Business Development & Licensing organization at AstraZeneca, where this person supports global business development and licensing initiatives and has a direct impact on the success of the Oncology R&D strategy and portfolio. The Search and Evaluation (S&E) group is responsible for proactively scouting external innovation to augment AstraZeneca Discovery, Early and Late Oncology R&D. By assembling teams of internal SMEs, the role holder will conduct technical due diligence activities that ensure an understanding of investment opportunities.
By effectively synthesizing and presenting the merits of potential investment opportunities, this person will enable enterprise decision-making to ensure that Oncology R&D science, capabilities and project portfolio are fit for future challenges and opportunities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct search and evaluation of external in-licensing opportunities emanating from academia, VC, biotech and peer-pharma including early research projects, new modality platforms, clinical stage candidates and Life Cycle Management (LCM) opportunities for our pipeline assets and franchises that can improve the scientific credibility of AZ's Oncology R&D portfolio.
- Establish and lead Due Diligence teams and processes (for preclinical and early clinical assets) to drive the thorough scientific evaluation of potential assets and deliver recommendations to key governance bodies including the Senior Executive Management Team (SET).
- Serve as the point of contact with the external partner throughout the deal process including during submission and negotiation of non-binding term sheet (NBTS) through to deal execution.
- Work collaboratively with the Transactional lead within the Oncology BD team (or BDO as appropriate) during negotiation of any NBTS or definitive agreement.
- Lead the preparation and presentation of business case and other materials for senior management briefings with support from the R&D or BDO Transactions lead (as appropriate) for transactional items.
- Represent Oncology R&D's critical initiatives and business priorities with senior management of the external life sciences community.
- Work with key partners and cross-functional teams to ensure effective communication, efficient decision-making, to support completion of transactions in a timely manner.
- Establish a broad network of internal and external partners and maintains a high level of external visibility.
- Best represent AstraZeneca's scientific excellence through a deep understanding of the portfolio and ensures AZ is considered partner of choice.
- Bring specialist knowledge in industry trends in oncology including awareness of competitor datasets in AZ areas of strategic focus.
- Help establish the Boston R&D network through collaboration with our external R&D, alliances and VC team.
- Actively engage in relevant talent recruitment efforts to help grow the Boston BD team
- PhD/MD and minimum of 5 years in oncology life sciences industry
Leadership and Behaviours
- Strong scientific reputation in drug discovery and development.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with senior executive teams.
- Proven innovation driven leadership abilities in a drug discovery environment with knowledge of pre-clinical and clinical R&D.
- A strong background of building successful internal/external partnership and collaborative relationships, demonstrating cultural sensitivity and awareness.
- Extensive experience in pharmaceutical R&D, demonstrating international experience in multiple cultures, and drug discovery / clinical environments.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and influence experienced professionals.
- Ability to think critically, creatively and to anticipate and solve problems.
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly-matrixed work environment.
- Comfortable with ambiguity
The Executive Director of Search and Evaluation will have excellent communication skills and take responsibility for decisions made. They will be able and accountable for driving business performance, and lead change based on future demands. In addition, they will understand the wider business priorities for AstraZeneca and actively seek collaboration across the organization in a complex matrix structure.About AstraZeneca in Waltham, MA
The Waltham R&D site focuses on our small-molecule oncology research in North America, and is situated within a biopharma cluster of research institutions, medical centers, pharmaceutical companies and startups. The Boston region is consistently ranked #1 globally for research, investment, talent recruitment and lab space. The campus, also known as the Boston BioHub, is one of the largest and most dynamic life-science research hubs in the region. It is home to more than 800 scientists working in nine different pharmaceutical and biotech companies. The site is also home to the AstraZeneca Incubator, a program that helps emerging companies advance novel and innovative healthcare solutions to meet the needs of patients. Plenty of free parking, with charging stations now available for electric vehicles, and shuttle service to local transportation hubs.
So, what's next?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you.
Don't hesitate to submit an application today, or get in touch with our Talent Acquisition Partner - Suzanne Bellomo, to arrange a confidential discussion to explore this opportunity further.Why AstraZeneca?
At AstraZeneca, we're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There's no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. We foster an inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We're on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazeneca/Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en