If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet .
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The University of Miami/UHealth Department of Medicine Infectious Diseases has an exciting opportunity for an Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (ARNP). The APRN will be responsible for assessing participants presenting for screening, enrollment, and follow-up in a randomized clinical trial to evaluate a COVID-19 vaccine candidate. This position will support study screening and enrollment through medical history and physical assessment, informed consent procedures as specified by the study protocol, counseling of participants, administration of vaccine or placebo, follow-up for adverse events and medical monitoring of participants post-vaccination. Additionally, they will complete required study documentation and reporting, and participate in study team meetings and data quality review.
The incumbent will work as part of the study team in performing medical procedures, including blood drawing, vital signs, nursing assessments, history and physical examinations, oral or nasopharyngeal swabs, and clinical evaluation of participants who develop adverse events or other symptoms during the study follow-up period.
This position will involve weekend and early evening shifts, and may involve performing evaluation and above procedures on a mobile clinical research unit at different locations within South Florida.
- Adherence to all study protocols and procedures
- Evaluation of potential study participants with complete medical history and physical exam
- Performance of vital signs measurements
- Physical assessment of study participants presenting with medical complaints
- Recognizes deviations from normal in the physical assessment. Works in collaboration with study physician in formulating treatment plans for health problems, including referrals and/or follow-up.
- Administration of study investigational product (vaccine or placebo)
- Evaluation and observation for adverse events after immunization
- Telephone and in-person evaluation of study participants throughout the study period
- Blood drawing for study-related labs
- Obtaining specimens including nasopharyngeal and oral swabs as required per study protocol
- Ability to follow appropriate personal protective equipment guidelines for participants who present with potential symptoms of COVID-19 (N95 face mask, gown, gloves, face shield)
- Function in mobile clinic setting including diverse locations throughout Miami-Dade County and possibly including non-traditional clinic hours.
- Actively participates in quality assurance programs and peer review activities.
- Administers nursing assessments to include performing examinations, giving injections, and
assessing a patient's health status.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ensuring compliance with local, state and federal health regulations.
- Ability to follow detailed research protocols
- Ability to maintain study documentation and case report forms
- Knowledge of and ability to apply professional medical principles, procedures, and techniques
- Performs in tactful and professional manner.
- Experience and facility working with diverse communities including racial, ethnic, and sexual minority patients.
- Fluent in Spanish and/or Haitian Kreyol preferred
- Experience with clinical research studies preferred
Education Requirements (Essential Requirements):
- Masters Degree from an accredited school in Advanced Practice Registered Nursing
- Valid Florida APRN license, BLS/ACLS certifications
- Must be credentialed to practice by Hospital Medical Board.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here
for additional information.Job Status:
Full timeEmployee Type:
This job has expired.