PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Qualifications QUALIFICATIONS: Requires a high school diploma.
- Demonstrate professional customer service skills whenever interacting with customer.
- Perform receptionist and clerical duties
- Greets patients arriving in the phlebotomy laboratory.
- Answer phone in an appropriate manner.
- Logs into computer, accesses EPIC and Sunquest
- Print and Fax results as needed making certain HIPPA protocols are followed.
- Performs other duties, necessary paperwork and clerical.
- Performs Phlebotomy and other responsibilities related to phlebotomy
- Performs routine and difficult venipuncture on infants, children, young adults, adults, and geriatric populations using aseptic and proper technique.
- Perform heel-sticks and finger-sticks as needed.
- Collect blood culture using aseptic techniques.
- Prepares the blood drawing area for patients, making certain an appropriate inventory of supplies is maintained and that the area is maintained in a clean and orderly manner.
- Logs, uses and maintains Sunquest collection manager devices.
- Generates and affix barcode labels to specimens after collection in the presence of patient.
- Logs into the computer, all tests checked off on the requisition, making certain all pertinent information and comments are included in the process.
- Creates HOV and release test orders using the EPIC Hyperspace system.
- Produces bar code labels to affix to specimens after collection.
- Makes certain that specimens are appropriately labels and collected.
- Maintains correct paperwork and procedures.
- Processes specimens for testing: Accessions specimens. Manual log-in procedures, making certain all pertinent information is included in the process. Makes certain all "stat" and other priority samples are processed first.
- Labels specimens as necessary and properly forwards them for testing. Makes certain the number and color of tubes is correct. Makes certain "stat" specimens are readied for processing first.
- Processes specimens by centrifugation. Makes certain specimens are spun in order of their priority and knowing the correct centrifugation speed/mode.
- Aliquots samples as needed. Makes certain that amounts and types of specimens are aliquoted correctly. Maintains sample integrity per established procedures. Places samples in the appropriate locations for pick-up by partner's courier.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe work area and adhering to all safety, Infection Control, and OSHA guidelines and policies.
- Demonstrates professional customer service skills whenever interacting with a customer.
- Performs support services as assigned and other duties as required.
- Is responsible for all other responsibilities and duties necessary for the day to day operations of the laboratory including safety and compliance OSHA.
- Responsible to be aware of JCAHO National Patient Safety Goals and to comply with BWH Hospital and Laboratory policies and procedures
One or two years prior experience, but will train.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED: Must have good communication skills and the ability to make the patient relaxed and comfortable.
Must be able to perform heelsticks, fingersticks, and venipunctures on populations previously defined.
Must have ability to work well in a fast paced environment.
Must have good organizational skills and be flexible to adjust schedule in accordance with the needs of the laboratory.
Must have the ability to interpret laboratory requisitions.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Busy laboratory environment.
Exposure to odors, infectious materials and other hazardous substances.
Very busy and constantly changing work environment.EEO Statement
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.