CAMPUS FACILITY SERVICE GENERA (IN-CFSG-IUINA)
Campus Facility Services (CFS) is proud to provide all IUPUI students, faculty, staff, and visitors with a high-quality physical environment. We provide maintenance, grounds and custodial services for more than 70 buildings and parking garages and over 300 acres of lawns, trees, plantings, sidewalks and parking lots. The department is also a frequent partner with IU Capital Projects on campus renovation projects and new construction initiatives.
Our Mission - Campus Facility Services (CFS) - People serving the campus community and caring for the physical environment in support of the IUPUI mission.
Our Vision - Earning customer trust through caring, connected, and competent service professionals.
- Assists skilled workers in troubleshooting, maintenance, repair and adjustment of HVAC, electrical, plumbing and other building systems and equipment. Drills holes for wiring and pulls or pushes wiring through openings. Assists in lifting, positioning and fastening objects such as wiring and conduit. Performs minor electrical repairs such as replacing bulbs, light sockets and switches.
- Installs weather stripping, interior and exterior trim and finish hardware. Install items such as window shades, venetian blinds and curtain rods.
- Removes walls or cuts openings in walls and floors to accommodate pipe, pipe fittings and doors. Bends pipe to correct angle by using pipe bending equipment or by placing pipe over form and bending manually. Threads and connects pipe and conduit to functional components. Performs basic repairs to plumbing systems including fixing leaky faucets and opening clogged drains, etc.
- Assembles cut and shaped materials and fastens together with nails, dowel pins or glue. Covers sub floors, walls and roofs with building material. Cleans surfaces with sandpaper, solvent and wiping cloths to prepare surfaces for finishing.
- Breaks up and removes concrete. Cuts lumber to length, prepares forms and pours concrete for miscellaneous projects. Dismantles forms, applies caulking compounds to seal crevices, cuts and attaches insulating material.
- Maintains convectors by cleaning units and replacing filters and insulation as needed. Performs other preventive maintenance tasks such as changing belts and lubricating moving parts.
- May repair carpet by removing and replacing damaged sections.
- Tests smoke detectors according to manufacturer's recommendations. Replaces batteries and maintains service log of tests and repairs.
- Maintains tools and equipment and keeps supplies and parts in order. Cleans work area, tools, machines and equipment.
- May provide assistance to more skilled workers performing installation, adjustment, maintenance, parts replacement, and repairs.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned, including general building maintenance duties. Drives University vehicles as needed. Works any shift as needed. 24-hour a day emergency response as needed. Assists with snow removal activities as necessary. Works during inclement weather (i.e. snow and ice) when weather emergencies dictate that the department is needed to take care of the campus.
- May repair buildings by painting.
- High school diploma or GED
- 1 year of experience in craft/building maintenance work and facilities upkeep
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATESRequired
- Valid driver's license and ability to be insured by Indiana University upon date of hire
Working Conditions / Demands
- Ability to work in a safe and efficient manner
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism
- Proficient communication skills
- Demonstrated time management and priority setting skills
- Demonstrates a high commitment to quality
- Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Seeks to acquire knowledge in area of specialty
- Highly thorough and dependable
- Demonstrates a high level of accuracy, even under pressure
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to represent the company with external constituents
- Ability to drive multiple projects to successful completion
- Strong verbal communication and listening skills
- Ability to build strong customer relationships
- Friendly and service-oriented
- Quickly troubleshoots and resolves problems
- Ability to use power and hand tools, hand drills, electric meters, and hoisting equipment
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to read and interpret drawings, blueprints and/or schematics
- Ability to operate a computer
- Ability to work with wide variety of cultures and backgrounds
- Knowledge of applicable building codes, campus standards, and ordinances
- May be required to acquire and maintain position-required certifications
This role requires the ability to remain in a stationary position as well as the ability to move about the workplace for long durations. It requires effective communication, the ability to operate machinery, tools, and controls. The role requires the ability to ascend/descend ladders/stairs, and to position one's self in low level positions, detect a variety of chemicals and/or gases. The role requires the ability to ascend to rooftops and move in tight spaces to perform and complete inspections. The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accommodation.Advertised Salary
$17.64 per hourBenefits Overview
For full-time staff employees, Indiana University offers a wide array of benefits including:
- Multiple plan options for medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Health Savings Account with generous IU contribution
- Life insurance, LTD, and AD&D options
- Base retirement plan contribution from IU, subject to vesting
- Additional supplemental retirement plan options
- Tuition benefit for IU classes
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Learn more about our benefits by reviewing our online Benefits Brochure.Job Classification
Career Level: Foundational
Job Function: Engineering, Trades & Facility
Job Family: Licensed & Skilled Trades
Click here to learn more about Indiana University's Job Framework.Posting Disclaimer
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.New employees will be provided with information regarding Indiana University's COVID-19 vaccine policy, which includes the opportunity to request an exemption. To learn more, view our COVID-19 vaccine information page.Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment based on individual qualifications. Indiana University prohibits discrimination based on age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at email@example.com or by visiting IUPD.Contact Us
This job has expired.