Fri, Sat, Sun night - 12 hour shifts
Works closely with Coordinator, Hospital Staff, Manager, and Physicians to facilitate timely availability of images for interpretation and communication of results to referring physicians and departments across the health system. Identifies issues, processes, procedures and systems, which negatively impact the process. Identifies and makes recommendations for improvements in processes and procedures. Responsible for follow through and closure of patient care related requests. Provides and inputs information for quality assurance purposes. Performs a variety of clerical duties such as word processing, typing, completing moderately complex forms, and maintaining records, files and systems.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Functions as a liaison for internal and external departments (i.e. ED, Critical Care Units, etc.) and referring physicians.
- Retrieves, relays and records, if necessary, critical patient information related to exams and patient care to radiologists, physicians, other departments, and facilities. Updates records and files, using manual and computerized filing systems, including spreadsheet data entry.
- Performs a variety of general clerical duties, such as copying, running errands, and maintaining records. Also performs duties and projects specific to the functions and needs of the department.
- Demonstrates knowledge of departmental processes and procedures and ability to readily acquire new knowledge. Ability to utilize departmental and facility on-call procedures.
- Utilizes knowledge of departmental processes and procedures in problem solving and contacting appropriate parties to obtain necessary information to allow continuation of patient care in the most efficient manner. Responsible for follow through and closure of information gathering process for radiologist interpretation as well as reporting to the appropriate physician. Acts as contact person for information requested by other departments, patients and physicians.
- Prioritize exams and needs of customers in order of urgency based on obtained knowledge and radiologist general guidelines. All other exams are prioritized in order received. Provide assistance to departmental customers (physician and non-physician) in relation to consultations with radiologists and/or requests for interpretations of exams. Monitor prioritization and assist in satisfying customers' needs, time utilization of radiologist and customer, as well as, maintaining procedural standards. Direct and distribute requests/exams to appropriate area.
- Receives and responds to requests for release of images or results. With proper authorization, copies and routes pertinent records and information to requestors. Maintains logs of work activities.
- Working knowledge of PACS web, PACS, RadNet, and other computer systems to provide assistance to physicians, radiologists and off-shift radiologists as necessary to enable interpretation of exams. Investigates, identifies and makes recommendations for improvement during situations in which care was delayed due to process breakdown.
- Answer telephone, return pages (within 5 minutes of receiving), to allow radiologist to continue focus on exam interpretation. Assist radiologist with contacting other physicians as needed.
- Assist in orienting off-shift radiologists. Assists in orientation and training of new Radiology support staff members
- Collect and maintain information in the quality assurance logs regarding off shift reading. Enter data into excel pivot daily.
- Maintain the teleradiology and STAT fax information in order to be able to retrieve data for questions and QA purposes.
- Receives and greets visitors, patients and/or employees. Ensures amenities are available. Notifies appropriate staff, and directs visitors and deliveries to appropriate areas. Answers routine questions; provides basic information and assistance with departmental procedures
- Maintain neat and tidy work area. Keep all work and visitor areas clean and well organized.
- Be able to function independently while remaining calm in a high-stress environment. Maintains good rapport and cooperative relationships. Approaches conflict in a constructive manner. Helps to identify problems, offer solutions and participate in their resolution.
- Behaves in accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph Mercy Health System.
Performs other duties as assigned.REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATION/LICENSURE
Two to three years progressively more responsible experience in a physician support setting.
Two years experience in a Radiology Department.REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Problem solving skills and ability initiate creative solutions to problems.
- Effectively communicate with Medical Staff, departmental staff, SJMHS department representatives, physicians, other health providers and facilities.
- Working knowledge of Radiology procedures protocols and processes.
- Knowledge of Windows based programs.
- Effective organizational skills
- Ability to utilize PACS, PACS web, RADNET, Dolbey and other pertinent computer systemsupon completion of training.
- Be able to function independently while remaining calm in a high-stress environment.
- High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience. Additional formal clerical and computer training desirable.
- Display leadership and team building skills
This document is intended to describe the generalized duties and responsibilities, the specialized job functions, and the essential requirements of this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive statement of all supplemental duties, responsibilities, or non-essential requirements or reflect any accommodations made under the American's with Disability Act, the Michigan Handicapper's Act, or SJMHS's Return to Work ProgramOur Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Trinity Health is a family of 115,000 colleagues and nearly 26,000 physicians and clinicians across 25 states. Because we serve diverse populations, our colleagues are trained to recognize the cultural beliefs, values, traditions, language preferences, and health practices of the communities that we serve and to apply that knowledge to produce positive health outcomes. We also recognize that each of us has a different way of thinking and perceiving our world and that these differences often lead to innovative solutions.
Our dedication to diversity includes a unified workforce (through training and education, recruitment, retention, and development), commitment and accountability, communication, community partnerships, and supplier diversity.