Cirium - Explore the World
Lead Software Engineer
Location: Portland, OR is ideal but candidate can sit remotely from Pacific or Mountain time zones
Cirium is looking for a software engineering lead to provide technical competency and technical leadership to the Flights Data Processing team. This is a cross-functional agile team with the charter of assembling a continuously accurate picture of the status of the vast majority of all commercial flights, globally. The team provides this data to other product teams, data science groups, and other technical customers. You will work in the Portland office alongside skilled engineers, program managers, architects, and subject matter experts with the goals of maintaining and extending the quality and completeness of this data and enhancing its value in novel ways.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned engineer with extensive experience in the modern Java language ecosystem, in collaborating with teammates to identify suitable design patterns, and to implement readable, maintainable, and testable, object-oriented software. You have cloud computing experience, including the handling of large datasets. You know how to operate in an environment of continuous integration and delivery.
Experience and Education
- Serve as a key technical resource on the Data Processing team.
- Be a technical contact for other teams, managers, customer support, and client-facing colleagues.
- Help drive agile processes-lead meetings, define actionable work, contribute ideas and insight in stand-ups, etc.
- Mentor and assist team members
- Assist in the planning and estimation of future functionality
- Collaborate with other technical personnel remotely (may require some schedule flexibility)
- Write and review stories and specifications for the development of components of high complexity
- Work closely with team members to understand complex requirements and translate them into software designs and stories
- Successfully implement development processes, coding best practices, and code reviews
- As an engineer on the team, implement new functionality, enhance existing functionality, and complete complex bug fixes
- Keep abreast of new technology developments
- Participate in on-call support rotation
- All other duties as assigned.
- 7+ years of Software Engineering experience.
- BS Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent experience required; advanced degree preferred.
First and foremost, you need to have the right character and attitude; we have a truly cross-functional and highly collaborative environment. There is of course a baseline of skills that we need, and you should be able to demonstrate solid skills as follows:
Experience with some/all of the following would be valuable to us:
- Technical proficiency in a cross-functional, agile environment.
- Expert competency in developing software using modern Java.
- Expert with software architecture, OO principles and design patterns.
- Expert with some flavor of SQL.
- Experience implementing and consuming REST APIs, and concurrent micro-service architecture.
- Experience with large datasets.
- Experience with cloud computing, AWS preferred.
- Experience in a CI/CD environment.
- Experience with monitoring and alerting tools.
- Ability to write code that is easy to read, maintainable and testable.
- Ability to resolve complex technical issues as necessary.
- Ability to troubleshoot performance, capacity, and scalability issues.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Containerized services (Docker and Kubernetes.)
- Distributed streaming services like Kafka or AWS Kinesis.
- Familiarity with the Linux operating system.
- Strong data modeling.
- Data analytics.
- Micro Services.
- Unix shell scripting, Python, and other languages.
We are an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or if you are based in the US you may also contact us on 1.855.833.5120.
This job has expired.