We are searching for a Legal Editor, Analytical to join our editorial team. This position requires an individual with very strong communication, organization, and time management skills, along with being very detail oriented and possessing excellent editorial skills. This is a dynamic position that will allow you to fully utilize and continuously expand your editorial skills and develop information and technology solutions.
Basic Job Function: The Legal Editor is responsible for recruiting and maintaining author relationships, editing manuscripts for legal accuracy, style, grammar, punctuation, and spelling, planning publication update releases, and securing release highlights for publication updates. For all content and in all media, the Legal Editor will work with the authors to ensure the accuracy, utility, and currency of the products, while also complying with Analytical schedules, best practices workflow, and publishing standards.
The Legal Editor will work with Content Operations partners, Indexing, offshore team members, and vendors, as required, to define the most appropriate production channel for each publication, and implement streamlined processes to assure the quality and timely completion for all aspects of product releases in all media. The Legal Editor will stay abreast of all new tool developments and adapt to best practices as product requirements dictate.
The Legal Editor will also serve as an advisor for offshore team members, providing content editing guidance when appropriate. As needed, the Legal Editor will provide support to Product Managers staying abreast of news, legislative, litigation and other legal developments and trends in order to assess product-specific competition, ensure appropriate coverage in the portfolio(s), identify gaps and overlap, and advise on ways to make content available in all media, and, if applicable, may be asked to help develop multimedia content, such as videos, webinars, CLEs, newsroom content, classroom tools, and other new methods that may arise.
1. Author Relationships:
- Maintain author relationships for existing publications, ensuring timely receipt of manuscript.
- Engage in author recruitment for both existing and new products in any media, including, but not limited to, identifying author prospects, contacting them, negotiating an agreement for their services, and drafting the author agreement.
- Provide authors with legal areas of focus, emerging issues, as needed
- Partner with authors to assure the timely delivery of manuscript in appropriate format.
- Encourage authors to use tools to more efficiently submit manuscript.
- Arrange for author payment.
- Develop strong author relationships that can potentially benefit other departments at LN including marketing, and product strategy and development.
- Partner with Product Managers and Legal Department to dissolve unsuccessful author relationships.
2. Planning and Scheduling: Collaborate with author and, as appropriate, Product Managers to develop production release schedules in compliance with customer and business needs.
3. Manuscript Management:
- Assure the receipt of complete manuscript, supporting documentation, and release highlights for all publications.
- Prepare relevant internal documentation, together with supporting hard copy, files, and illustrations, for timely delivery, with edited manuscript, to Indexing, Operations and the offshore team as appropriate.
- Establish and manage budgets for author and other outside editorial payments for manuscript preparation.
4. Editing: Comply with author manuscript update directions. Copy editing and review for substantive accuracy, as appropriate, assigned publications with consideration for content functionality in all media.
5. Communication: Responsible for managing outsourcing projects, including drafting instructions and providing feedback to vendors/contractors/offshore team. Report status as needed to Editorial Directors, Content Operations SMEs, and Operations directors in a consistent and effective format.
6. Quality: Perform quality review of products in all media.
7. Continuous Improvement: Support continuous improvement by driving operational excellence and seeking to enhance customer value via ongoing educational training.
8. Release process management:
- Implement operational efficiencies to support best practices and adherence to milestone publication dates.
- Assess critical needs of publications, the best production approach for each release cycle, and determine the use of internal and external resources.
- Define appropriate production process for new products as assigned.
- Participate in research and development of new technologies and procedures.
- Leverage existing knowledge of tools and processes by cross training and sharing information with team members.
9. Customer Assistance: Help customers with product-specific inquiries for assigned products.
10. Marketing and Sales: Support marketing and sales activities by collaborating with colleagues to create content for sales campaigns and training, including the creation of value statements and other information as requested.
11. Practice Area Knowledge: Track and monitor relevant legislation, case law, news, and developments as needed to maintain awareness of current topics for inclusion in assigned publications.
12. Support Initiatives: As determined by the Editorial Director, contribute to initiatives as needed, including competitive analysis, content expansion/new product development, Practical Guidance, CLE, sales training, tool testing, or other new initiatives that may arise.Qualifications:
1. Bachelor's degree and J.D. preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Prior publishing experience or writing experience or legal practice experience preferred.
3. Strong editorial and proofing skills; attention to detail, style, format, consistency, and quality.
4. Excellent interpersonal skills, including written and oral communications, positive attitude, and professional demeanor employed in routine contact with geographically diverse authors, colleagues, customers, and vendors.
5. Strong organizational and project management skills; ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and with flexibility, including time management skills to meet rigid and frequent deadlines.
6. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
7. Self-motivated and demonstrates initiative.
8. Good problem-solving skills.
9. Effective with change management and adaptable.
10. Technical proficiency preferred, including familiarity with XML/HTML, content management systems, as well as a basic understanding of Agile methodology and automation fundamentals.
This posting is for a home-based candidate, and may be performed remotely throughout the US. Applicants are not limited to posted locations.
LexisNexis, a division of RELX Group, is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact email@example.com or if you are based in the US you may also contact us on 1.855.833.5120.
This job has expired.