Motiva is seeking to hire an experienced Managing Counsel with expertise in legal support for physical and financial hydrocarbon commodity trading and related logistics activity. As Managing Counsel, the successful candidate will support Motiva's Supply, Trading and Logistics ("STL") business with support from a team of legal counsel.
The position will provide commercial deal structuring and regulatory advice and support for domestic and international commodities and derivatives trading activities. Ideally, this individual would also have experience with regulatory issues related to logistic operations, including storage, marine, truck, rail, and pipeline movements, and be able to work in close collaboration with internal Motiva functions including Middle Office, Tax, Treasury, Risk and Insurance, and Health, Safety, and Environmental teams to support the STL business.
This role reports to Motiva's Associate General Counsel and works closely with other commercial and regulatory counsel in Motiva's Law department. This role will also act as a liaison with other lawyers in Motiva's parent and affiliated companies in Saudi Arabia, Europe, and Asia to ensure coordinated legal and compliance support within the global enterprise.
- Provide advice and counseling on a range of trade regulatory compliance issues, including:
- the requirements of the OFAC, CFTC, FERC, DOE, FTC, Texas PUC and various other federal and state government agencies
- Regulatory investigations
- Support the business in expansion of physical supply and trading commercial activities, both domestic and abroad, including but not limited to commercial contracting, risk evaluation and deal structuring
- Identify legal exposures in commercial activity and propose constructive, commercially fit for purpose solutions
- Support the business in pre-litigation commercial dispute resolution
- Manage outside counsel on various special projects and initiatives
- Support internal Law Department reporting requirements
- Keep informed of and advise on new laws, regulations, and industry trends
- Take on any additional special projects and support other legal initiatives as necessary
- JD degree with strong academic credentials
- An active license to practice law in the US
- Minimum of 8+ years of legal experience; preferably 4+ years related to regulatory trade compliance in either private practice or in an in-house legal department
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to precisely draft documents, policies, and legal guidance that is concise and digestible for non-lawyers
- Detail oriented, organized, and effectively able to manage multiple matters while balancing competing deadlines
- Capable of working independently, with others in the legal department, and across the company with non-lawyer stakeholders
- Commercially astute with experience in supporting hydrocarbon supply, trading and logistic activities
- Experience managing legal professionals and building a team
- Experience handling commercial matters related to supply, trading and logistics
- Experience in providing legal counsel on regulatory compliance related to OFAC, CFTC, FTC the FERC and other regulatory compliance areas beyond trading activities such as FCPA, Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Trust, DOT, Texas Railroad Commission or other areas impacting the downstream industry.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Motiva jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Motiva affiliates and service providers..
Motiva and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Motiva. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorized Motiva representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Motiva participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.