Medical Lab Scientist (Microbiology)
PM Shift (3pm-11:30pm)
Come be a part of the transformation happening at Loyola Medicine.New state of the art Regional Clinical Laboratory. The new lab enables greater operational efficiencies, improved turnaround times to support future growth and expansion into emerging technologies and lab testing methodologies.
Loyola Medicine, treating the whole person with compassion-to "also treat the human spirit." The Laboratory Department-Lab Microbiology seeks a Medical Lab Scientist to perform all waived, moderate and high complexity test in the diagnosis utilized in the treatment and prevention of disease.
In this role, the Medical Lab Scientist- Microbiology will is responsible for supporting the delivery of patient care by performing laboratory testing that is utilized in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease. This includes waived, moderate and high complexity testing.
- Performs all laboratory testing, including the pre-examination phase in accordance with standard operating procedures and accreditation guidelines to support the delivery of patient care.
- Conducts and documents established quality control procedures on analytical tests, equipment, reagents, media, and products; evaluates the results of quality control testing and implements corrective action according to established protocols to ensure the accuracy and quality of patient testing.
- Participates in the validation of laboratory methods and procedures to meet the changing health care needs of our patients.
- Recognizes and documents problems that may adversely affect test performance or the reporting of test results. Identifies, implements and documents appropriate corrective action or notifies the technical specialist, shift supervisor or manager.
- Performs routine maintenance functions to ensure the proper operation of the laboratory equipment.
MAGIS & Service Excellence Accountabilities:
- Participates in the laboratory's proficiency testing program ensuring that these samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens.
- Responsible for consistently demonstrating our MAGIS values of Care, Concern, Respect and Cooperation through teamwork and effective communication in an effort to prevent and solve problems and to achieve quality outcomes, patient safety, customer satisfaction and a safe environment.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining an environment of service excellence as outlined in the Service Excellence standards.
- Bachelor's Degree
Specify Degree(s): Medical Technology, Medical Laboratory Science, Biology, or Chemistry
- 1-2 years of previous job-related experience
Computer Skills:Required:Required Skills:
- Certified Medical Laboratory Scientist (ASCP) or equivalent
Other: Laboratory certification required (ASCP or HEW)
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
- Ability to analyze and interpret data
- Ability to communicate verbally
- Ability to deal calmly and courteously with people
- Ability to deal with stressful situations
- Ability to finish tasks in a timely manner
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and established procedures
- Ability to function independently and manage own time and work tasks
- Ability to maintain accuracy and consistency
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize workflow
- Ability to perform basic filing, office procedures and word processing
- Ability to work as an effective team member
Trinity Health is a family of 115,000 colleagues and nearly 26,000 physicians and clinicians across 25 states. Because we serve diverse populations, our colleagues are trained to recognize the cultural beliefs, values, traditions, language preferences, and health practices of the communities that we serve and to apply that knowledge to produce positive health outcomes. We also recognize that each of us has a different way of thinking and perceiving our world and that these differences often lead to innovative solutions.
Our dedication to diversity includes a unified workforce (through training and education, recruitment, retention, and development), commitment and accountability, communication, community partnerships, and supplier diversity.