Part of TSU.
OVERVIEW OF POSITION:
Responsible for greeting patients, answering phones, processing a variety of paperwork, processing check-in/check-out, collecting co-pays and payments, and performing other various front office duties in a fast-paced, customer-oriented, clinical environment.
- Consistently exhibits behavior and communication skills that demonstrate Optum's commitment to superior customer service, including quality, care and concern with each and every internal and external customer.
- Verifies walk-in patient's name, demographics, insurance and primary care provider.
- Explains and asks patient to complete appropriate forms.
- Directs patient to appropriate department as indicated by the schedule.
- Interacts with central departments as needed.
- Verifies all insurance eligibility.
- Recognizes outstanding balances and refers them to appropriate staff for follow-up.
- Collects co-pays and payments as required.
- Collects co-pays and payments for all services, prints out receipts and balances cash drawer daily according to cash control policy.
- Contacts appropriate department for missing fisc prior to patient arrival.
- Demonstrates knowledge of contracted insurance plans and procedures; knows which plans require referrals and/or prior authorizations.
- Notifies provider's assistant of any no-shows or cancellations immediately.
- Handles multiple telephone lines.
- Follows all procedures contained in the financial policy.
- Makes follow-up appointments, provides departing patients an appointment card with appropriate information, repeats to the patient the date and time of next appointment, provider's name and location of appointment.
- Calls patients with next day appointments to confirm time and place. Reschedules and cancels appointments as necessary.
- Monitors the lobby area for patients or visitors who may have medical difficulties. Assists and communicates with the assistant or provider any patient issues.
- Keeps patients informed of wait times and communicates with provider or assistant accordingly. Notifies management or complete customer communication form as appropriate.
- Maintains customer service level consistent with Optum's vision by providing courteous and friendly demeanor when dealing with the public and co-workers.
- Prints patient labels, provider schedules and snapshots as appropriate.
- Uses sign-in sheet according to site policy.
- Takes complete, accurate and neat phone messages. Documents all telephone calls on appropriate form as defined by site including date, time, patient's name, date of birth, phone numbers and detailed reason for the call. Retrieves medical record number from computer system.
- Assists Medical Assistant and/or provider with returning patient's non-medical calls as indicated by departmental policy.
- Collects and accounts for all encounter forms. Checks forms for diagnosis and CPT codes. Batches and forwards to appropriate area.
- Contacts "bumped" patients immediately by phone and reschedules their appointments as appropriate.
- Answers MA/RN phone according to site policy when needed.
- Informs MA/RN of late arrivals and accommodates patients as directed.
- Distributes and processes Workers' Compensation forms according to site policy.
- Adheres to Universal Precautions at all times.
- Adheres to safety policies and procedures at all times.
- Uses, protects, and discloses Optum patients' protected health information (PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- High school diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent. Includes special certification required for specific jobs.
- Up to and including 1 year of experience.
- Experience working with the public.
- Over 1 year and up to and including 3 years of experience.
- Experience in medical reception and customer service.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Computer literate.
- Ability to type 25 wpm.
- Working knowledge of general office duties.
- Working knowledge of contracted insurance plans.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Good telephone skills.
- Customer service-oriented.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Bilingual preferred.
- COVID-19 Work Location Requirement: You will be asked to perform this role in an office setting or other company location.
- Employees are required to screen for symptoms using an Optum-approved symptom screener prior to entering the work site each day in, or Employees much comply with any state and local masking orders. In addition, when in an Optum building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing cannot be attained.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Here you'll find incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(SM)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: Optum and its affiliated medical practices are Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Optum and its affiliated medical practices is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.