GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Undergeneral supervision of Dr. Herminia Diana Rosas, the Research Study NursePractitioner(NP)/Physician Assistant(PA) is responsible for specific aspects ofprotocols and policies for research studies of Down's syndrome, Huntington'sdisease and other neurocognitive disorders being conducted in the Center forNeuroimaging of Aging and Neurodegenerative disorders, in addition to assistingin the research conducted in the Center for Aging and Neurodegenerative, withinthe scope of the advanced practice or physician assistant license as defined bythe government of Massachusetts and may serve as Co-I.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Qualifications SKILLS & COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Participates in daily operational activitiesnecessary for a safe patient/staff environment. Knows and adheres to safety precaution techniques for UniversalPrecautions per Regulatory Standards.
- Coordinates related patient care activities inthe outpatient research setting. Sub orCo-I is responsible for data collection and documentation. Collects, compiles, tabulates and analyzesdata for the principal investigator(s).
- Contributes clinically across all studyprotocols by performing protocol-mandated initial and follow-up medicalhistories, physical and neurological examinations and cognitive and behavioralmental status examinations; by reviewing laboratory, radiological and other relevantclinical reports; by evaluating adverse events to ensure subject safety; byfollowing up with study participant between in person visits; by obtainingmedication history;and other study related procedures as needed.
- Delivers professional, ethical and appropriatecare to all patients according to the research protocol. Evaluates patients' responsesto study protocols.
- Coordinates and implements the research studyaccording to the study protocol.
- Performs required procedures, including blooddraws, as well as collection of other relevant samples..
- Collaborates with the principal investigator(s) and study team on an ongoing basis regarding progress of the study and thecontinuation or termination of study subjects.
- Collaborates with physicians, study nurses andcoordinators in the selection of appropriate research study patients.
- Obtains all necessary approvals and subjectinformed consent when permitted by IRB and assesses patient's continuedeligibility for participation on an ongoing basis.
- Adheres to GCP guidelines and to the studyprotocols.
- With appropriate training and/or certification,performs medical procedures as needed including phlebotomy, IV infusions, IVinsertion as well as IV Management, lumbar punctures and skin punch biopsies,as needed.
- Collects vital signs before, during and poststudy medication administration or infusion, infusion site assessment, patientmonitoring for allergic reactions and post infusion care.
- Acts as liaison between patient and othermembers of the team regarding patient care activities relating to the researchprotocol. May require travel to researchstudy subject's home for study visits.
- Informs the PI of all significant medicalevents in study participants. Incooperation with the PI, Nurse Manager and/or Managing Director as needed,implements appropriate medical interventions for significant findings duringthe study participant evaluations.
- Participates in Quality Assurance/Qualitycontrol activities. Performs appropriate Quality Control and PreventativeMaintenance procedures.
- Attends protocol investigator meetings asnecessary.
- Contributes to the development and publicationof research findings.
- Contributes to IRB submissions for protocols,including initial submissions, amendments, continuing review and reporting ofadverse events.
- IV therapy skills required.
- Critical care experience preferred.
- Prior LP experience preferred; if no experiencewillingness to acquire skill a plus.
- Excellent customer service capabilitiesrequired.
- Ability to work well under pressure a must.
- Ability to multi-task and work on variousprotocols a must.
- Ability to work with staff of diverseeducational and ethnic backgrounds required.
- Strong leadership skills preferred.
- Prior Clinical Trial experience required. Minimum of 3-5 years preferred.
Understandsand practices Good clinical practices. Knowledgeableand compliant in all hospital, State and Federal regulatory requirements,including hospital policy and procedures (where applicable to the performanceof the job), Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations(JCAHO), and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996(HIPAA).LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, and/or REGISTRATIONS:Licenses Required:
Valid MA NP or PA LicenseCertifications Required:
Current, valid NP or PARegistrations Required:
MSCREDUCATION: Minimum Required:
Master's Degree Preferred:
Doctoral DegreeEXPERIENCE: Required:
Prior nursing/PA experience with anability to perform IV infusions. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (authority to hire,promote, or terminate):
Indirect:Oversight of junior CRC's.WORKING CONDITIONS:
CharlestownNavy Yard, MGH Main Campus and Charles River Plaza, 165 Cambridge Street,Boston
Occasionalhome visits may be needed.
Positiondependent on continued NIH funding.EEO Statement
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.