BRADFORD WOODS (BA-BRAD-IUBLA)
Bradford Woods is Indiana University's Outdoor Center. As a key component of the university family, Bradford Woods seeks to promote and further the mission of the university through the teaching, service, programs, and research Bradford Woods provides. For over 50 years Bradford Woods has been providing recreational, educational, and leadership development opportunities to youth and adults locally, nationally, and globally.
The Professional Outdoor Instructor is a full-time seasonal position that will work closely with the day-to-day running of day or residential outdoor education programming.
Department Specific Responsibilities
- Instructs and facilitates groups of people in mostly outdoor spaces on the Bradford Woods property.
- Plans and prepares for groups based on a set schedule that is given 1-2 weeks prior to a program. Plans out and facilitate lesson plans or Adventure Education. Other programming will include campfires, night experiences, recreations, and supporting mealtimes with students.
- Responsible for the overall safety and well-being of the individual group assigned including understanding Bradford Woods Policies/Procedures, Emergency Action Plan including writing internal incident reports as needed, adhering to appropriate radio use, and maintaining a general knowledge of trails including property boundaries.
- High school diploma or GED
- Working towards a University degree in outdoor, experiential, therapeutic recreation, education or related field
WORK EXPERIENCE Required
- Experience hiking, backpacking, caving, canoeing, climbing, observation of the natural environment and stopping for "teachable moments" also, in a camp setting
- Experience facilitating personal and group development through initiatives and low/high challenge course events
- Experience teaching environmental education
- Experience working with both youth and adults in a learning environment, working with people with physical and developmental disabilities
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES Preferred
- Wilderness First Aid, CPR/AED for the professional rescuer, lifeguard
Working Conditions / Demands
- Ability to effectively communicate and exchange information
- Ability and desire to energetically teach, inspire and motivate people from all walks of life
- Outdoor skills including hiking, backpacking, caving, canoeing, climbing, and interpretation
- Ability and willingness to learn and master designated program areas
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment for an extended time that can be emotionally and physically demanding
- Ability to hike on flat, hills, slope and uneven terrain
- Ability and willingness to serve others, be a team player, and take on leadership roles and responsibilities
The role requires the ability to work in a varied weather environment that may include extreme heat and cold, and other adverse weather conditions. The role also requires the ability to move and hike on flat, hills, slope, and uneven terrain. The person in this role must be able to move items up to 25 pounds multiple times per shift.Additional Information
Live in shared housing on the Bradford Woods Property
POI's are not responsible for staying in cabins with participants.
Housing on the Bradford Woods Property would be provided for hourly staff if needed.
Housing and partial board is supplied in addition to the stipend.
This position is a seasonal, 12-week assignmentWork Location
Martinsville, Indiana Advertised Salary
Flat rate between $275-$300 per week
Hourly staff hired will get paid $11.75/hourWork Hours
Live out hourly staff will be working anytime between 7:00 am and 11:00 pm.Job Classification
Career Level: Part Time Employee
Job Function: Part Time Employee
Job Family: Part Time Employee
Click here to learn more about Indiana University's Job Framework.Posting Disclaimer
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.New employees will be provided with information regarding Indiana University's COVID-19 vaccine policy, which includes the opportunity to request an exemption. To learn more, view our COVID-19 vaccine information page.Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment based on individual qualifications. Indiana University prohibits discrimination based on age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at email@example.com or by visiting IUPD.Contact Us
This job has expired.