GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Patient Services Coord. II (Weekend Only/Days)
Under the general supervision of the Manager of Clinical Support Services and the Supervisor of the Image Service Center, the incumbent is responsible for the delivery of complete customer service and maximum productivity in the processing of radiology images for interpretation and review. Understands and utilizes a network of computer systems for processing information and for archiving and retrieving image studies, to include pushing images to local PACS stations for Radiologist viewing. Comprehends the multitude of workflows related to the management of images throughout a broad customer base internally and externally to the hospital. Rotates work assignments, with varying degrees of complexity, in a multi-site operation. Works closely with the PACS support team to ensure exams are routed accurately and finalized. Acts as a liaison between specific divisions and the PACS team when troubleshooting and resolving various system issues. Provides information, training and direction to staff when necessary under the direction of ISC leadership. Additional Reception Area Responsibilities: The incumbent performs a variety of reception tasks for the various divisions of the Imaging Department. Functioning as the primary interface between the customer and the Radiologist provides administrative support to the Radiologist and other health care providers in a high-volume ambulatory setting. Where appropriate receives patients and directs them to the appropriate testing area, arranging for escort services as required.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Follows multi-step processing of all films and soft copy images and related documentation for radiologist interpretation and Referring Physician review of images, as well as requests by patients, legal offices, insurance agencies, etc. Coordinates hard copy and digital image preparation in conjunction with clinic, physician offices, units, OR and patient appointments. Communication is achieved by, but not limited to; telephone, facsimile, computer email, web based requests and written correspondences. Receives customers and responds to requests in real time.
• Understands and utilizes Picture Archiving and Communication Systems (PACS) computer equipment. Assists customers with the use of equipment for locating specific images and for image viewing. Processes requests through the utilization of dual systems for hard copy and digital images. Assists with integrating the electronic capabilities of the PACS installation into the daily work-flow.
• Assists Radiologists and other care providers with loading digital outside images into the LifeImage application.
• Manages customer service issues and resolves related problems. Communicates and interprets departmental and hospital policies and procedures for customers with clarity and completeness. Facilitates resolution of misunderstandings related to the ownership of film images.
• Utilizes computer information system in department, with multiple interfaces to various computer systems hospital wide, to obtain information which may directly or indirectly pertain to completing a customer request for information. Uses computer inquiry functions, prints exam resource information, processes pull lists, etc., when necessary, to obtain information necessary to complete assignments. Batch process work load, through computer functions, whenever possible to maximize throughput.
• Maintains active and inactive filing and storage systems for multitudes of film records stored in several locations. Determines appropriateness of communication and follow through with various hospital departments internal and external physician offices, patients, etc., which may provide information related to locating films necessary for patient care related requests. Collects, collates and reports on data metrics. Prepares and
Job Description 2
maintains files and folders in appropriate condition. Ascertains inventory needs for record storage supplies and processes requests in a timely manner.
• Monitors PACS issues by utilizing quality assurance reports as necessary. Communicates and documents unresolved issues to external vendor as well as internal team. Understands AMICAS and the correlation between PACS and AMICAS in order to facilitate requests and assist with problem solving.
• Burns images to CDs and is able to maintain the equipment and trouble shoot issues with the CD burner.
• Works to reduce film cost by utilizing CAS, Amicas, CD and other cloud based digital options
• Merges folders with multiple Medical Record Numbers as necessary
• Generates Quality Assurance Statistics
• Assists with the training of new staff, including radiologists, on basic PACS, CD burner, Outlook skills, current releases, system and operational changes.
• Provides functional guidance to Image Service Representative I and cross coverage in area specific divisions.
• Participates in or leads staff meetings as requested or assigned.
• Includes duties and responsibilities of the Clerk or Office Assistant to include:
• Customers and /or Radiologists potential schedule changes.
• Acts as the liaison to Radiologists, other hospital units or departments regarding Radiologist initiated procedures to include assistance with coordination of discussion between Radiologists and physicians.
• Responds to telephone requests and processes telephone calls according to established telephone guidelines and hospital patient confidentiality policy.
• Greets and receives customers as they arrive in reception areas. Provides information to customers and Hospital personnel, observing Hospital and Department policies and procedures.
• Maintains the physical environment, for reception areas and waiting rooms.
• Performs all other related tasks which would facilitate the flow of patients through the department, or which would enhance the quality of service to the customer.
• Acts as a liaison between MGH hospital main campus and all MGH facilities and physician offices.
• Maintains the confidentiality and privacy of protected health information consistent with HIPAA requirements
• Performs all other duties that are practice specific and appropriate to this level of position and/or are directed by the manager.
• High School diploma or equivalent required.
• Minimum of 1 to 3 years of secretarial experience, preferably in a clinical setting
• One year as a Level I ISR or equivalent experience in a related area.
• Prior work experience utilizing computers and miscellaneous office equipment.
• Intermediate knowledge of PACS and ability to accurately print, troubleshoot, and communicate system-related problems.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
• Good organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and multi-task in a busy environment.
• Familiar with medical terminology.
• Ability to identify emergent situations, formulate solutions, and execute such with minimum direction from supervisor.
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills. Excellent customer relation skills and patient needs orientation.
• Ability to maintain high customer service standards with minimal supervision.
• Ability to deal effectively and courteously with a diverse group of internal and external customers
• Ability to mentor Level I ISRs to assure that they develop the skills necessary to fulfill their responsibilities successfully.
• Ability to respond to customer requests on the telephone, while monitoring information through the computer system.
• Able to adapt to flexible work hours in a variety of divisions
• Ability to become familiar with and to understand all Imaging processing areas.
• Physical strength to do heavy lifting (minimum of 20 pounds) and moving folders while handling film folders.
Normal office or ambulatory practice conditions
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
Posted about 8 hours ago
Posted about 8 hours ago
De Pere, Wisconsin
Posted about 3 hours ago
Subscribe to job alerts and add your resume to our resume database for employers!