GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
MGH Pulmonary & Critical Care Unit is looking for a competent, professional individual for the role of Patient Service Coordinator. The PSC II provides administrative support to a high-volume ambulatory care setting, functioning as the primary interface between patients and providers. The Patient Services Coordinator must be able to work as an integral part of the administrative team, as well as be able to work independently to identify and resolve administrative challenges as they arise. The emphasis is placed on customer service, the ability to organize priorities, complete tasks, manage confidential patient information, schedule patient appointments, diagnostic testing, referrals and other managed care related issues. Serves as an overall resource person for support staff.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Answers and directs calls to the ambulatory clinic in a professional, accurate and timely manner.
- Provides support and information to physician, fellow, and other clinical staff to problem-solve and manage complex administrative patient issues.
- Appropriately schedules, updates, and reschedules in clinical schedules. Pro-actively works any bump lists to reschedule patients in a timely and courteous manner.
- Ensuring compliance by asking MSPQ questions when scheduling appointments with Medicare patients.
- Provides clear, concise communication to nursing and physician staff regarding clinical questions and concerns from patients.
- Monitor and proactively work EMR in basket messages pertaining to patient care.
- Provides coverage at the front desk, perform performing check-in and -out functions during clinic hours.
- Performs the daily cash drawer reconciliation if covering the front desk.
- Scheduling and facilitating pre-authorization of diagnostic testing throughout various hospital departments.
- Confirm appointments with patients.
- Completely performs, and is a resource to other team members, in all revenue enhancement activities, including but not limited to registration verification, co-payment collection, etc.
- Functions as a resource for patients around managed care plans, insurance and referral issues.
- Maintains confidentiality and privacy, which is consistent with HIPAA guidelines.
- Assists with training and orientation of new staff, where applicable.
- Performs all other related tasks which would facilitate the flow of patients through the practice, or which would enhance the quality of service to patients.
- Ensure accurate and timely distribution of all incoming and outgoing correspondence via mail and fax.
- Transcribe outside orders into EMR.
- Functions as a member of a collaborative team to better serve all internal and external customers, cross covering all administrative areas of the department.
- Maintain a clean workstation. Maintain a respectful and welcoming atmosphere for all patients and colleagues.
- Works on special projects as directed.
High School graduation required.
Minimum of 3 years secretarial experience or equivalent in a medical or health care related setting.SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
Excellent organizational skills, flexibility to manage multiple tasks, to prioritize effectively, and maintain accurate attention to details.
Knowledge of computer skills necessary to learn/use appropriate modules of Epic, and electronic medical record modules, as required.
Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
Effective and respectful interpersonal communication skills.
Demonstrated ability to work effectively and courteously with various groups of patients, staff and providers.
Demonstrated ability to problem-solve and function as a resource to other members of the team, and resolve complex issues on behalf of the providers and the patients.
Demonstrated in-depth understanding of managed care and all other pertinent insurance/medical coverage
Demonstrated knowledge of HIPAA Confidentiality and Privacy Policies
Demonstrated understanding of Disaster protocols to include fire, safety and code calls, per the mandatory training, as outlined by MGH and JCAHO guidelines.EEO Statement
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.