If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami is seeking a Staff Pharmacist to work at Sylvester Cancer Center in Miami. The incumbent, under the general supervision of the Director of Pharmacy or her/his designee the Staff Pharmacist, ensures the safe appropriate and cost-effective use of medications in conjunction with the prompt and accurate delivery of medications to patients. Physician orders and patient medication profiles are reviewed, processed and checked and drug therapies are monitored for drug interactions, allergies, and contraindications. Drug information is provided to healthcare professionals and patients to assist in providing rational drug therapy.
Accountabilities (For Non-exempt Employees Include Percent of Effort):
- Staff Pharmacists monitor, and supervise the operation of the centralized intravenous admixture program, with a heavy emphasis on the preparation and monitoring of chemotherapeutic and investigational intravenous therapies.
- Staff Pharmacists ensure the accurate and efficient preparation and delivery of total parenteral nutrition solutions, injectable chemotherapy, antibiotics, and other medications for intravenous therapy.
- Dosage amounts and intravenous compatibilities are accurately determined.
- Patient profiles and new orders are reviewed to prevent drug interactions and contraindications. (30%)
- Staff Pharmacists supervise the unit-dose drug distribution program. Patient profiles and new orders are reviewed to prevent drug interactions and contraindications.
- A working knowledge of the pharmacy computer system and software programs is required.
- Staff Pharmacists ensure the accurate and prompt delivery of unit-dose medications and controlled substances to hospital inpatients.
- Appropriate records and inventory on all drugs are maintained as required.
- Emergency drug stocks in patient care areas are accurately filled in a timely manner.
- Staff Pharmacists accurately compound and dispense medicinals of a special nature that are not readily available from manufacturers. (30%)
- Staff Pharmacists provide current and accurate drug information to health care professionals and patients.
- Drug information provided includes a thorough understanding of new medications, dosage requirements, indications, contraindications, pharmacology, side effects, adverse reactions, precautions, and suitable formulary agents for use in specific therapies. (5%)
- Staff Pharmacists supervise the accurate and efficient dispensing of outpatient prescriptions for discharge, day surgery, outpatient clinics, and employee patients. (5%)
- Staff Pharmacists effectively communicate with physicians, nurses, purchasing technicians, pharmacy technicians, other hospital personnel, and hospital patients.
- Their prompt and effective communication with hospital personnel and patients promotes and ensures rational drug therapy.
- Staff Pharmacists train and supervise technical staff members, externs and interns in established policies and procedures for our hospital and clinics and department. (10%)
- Staff Pharmacists or their designee inspect nursing units and clinics to monitor the proper storage and distribution of patient floorstock, controlled drugs, and emergency medications. (2%)
- Staff Pharmacists compound drugs by reading a variety of prescriptions or vouchers, computing dosages, weighing and measuring or mixing drugs following established pharmaceutical techniques.
- Staff Pharmacists review compounding work completed by subordinate pharmacists' externs, interns and Pharmacy technicians. (1%)
- Staff Pharmacists dispense controlled substances in accordance with strict security procedures, maintaining accurate control and inventory records and preparing dosage sheets.
- Staff Pharmacists assist in periodic audit of controlled substances at nursing stations and in Pyxis units. (2%)
- Staff Pharmacists participate in the drug use evaluation process and contribute to quality improvement activities. (10%)
- Staff Pharmacists perform all other job related duties as assigned by the Director of Pharmacy Services or her/his designee. (5%).
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.CORE QUALIFICATIONS Education:Certification and Licensing:
- Certification in relevant specialty or field
- Requires current licensure in good standing in the State of Florida and a degree in Pharmacy from an accredited College of Pharmacy
- Minimum 1 year of relevant experience
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:
Full timeEmployee Type:
This job has expired.