If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
Assistant Professor - Research track
Department of Public Health Sciences - Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center
The Assistant Professor will manage research projects, and will supervise research projects of interns, undergraduate or graduate students. The Assistant Professor may lecture or conduct demonstrations and teach across UM schools. The Assistant Professor will partner and collaborate with other faculty in the Department of Public Health Sciences, and perhaps other departments throughout UM, to advance knowledge, training, and education.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center - Biostatistics / Bionformatic Shared Resources:
- Reporting to the Chairman of the Department of Public Health Sciences, the incumbent will conduct, collaborate and manage scientific research and investigations
- Participates in the management of the daily operations of his/her lab
- Conduct regular lab meetings
- Supervise, mentor and manage postdoctoral fellows as well as graduate students engaged in collaborative research projects
- Explore and develop appropriate research collaborations both within the Department, the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center and outside of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine departments and schools
- Collect and analyze data
- Write and submit scientific papers and abstracts, as well as submit grant proposals
- Presents ongoing work and findings to colleagues and at academic/research conferences
- Participates in the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center Junior Development Program
Will work closely with the BBSR Director:
- Data analysis of clinical trials, community-based participatory research studies, population studies, and laboratory experiments
- Write-up of statistical/bioinformatics methods and collaboration on results for manuscripts, abstracts, presentations, and reports to oversight committees and funding agencies
- Support for data management and data sharing
- Participation in SCCC educational activities through seminars, lectures, or journal club on study design, data collection, and data science methods for clinical trial, community-based participatory research studies, population-based studies, and laboratory studies.
Faculty members in the Department of Public Health Sciences will need to meet the following requirements:Requirements (essential)
- Ph.D. Computer Science or equivalent area
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of scientific techniques
- Some experience in running a lab, funded research projects, and/or supervising post-docs
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work with diverse constituency
- Computer literacy
- Completion of successful academic and research work that has resulted in authorship and/or co-authorship of papers in peer reviewed journals while serving as a faculty, and/or as a scientist.
- Demonstrates ability to develop collaborative research projects in a manner consistent with the mentor's research plan and contribute towards the making of scientific advances in the field of work.
- Demonstrates ability to teach in the laboratory setting and/or through presentations of papers and/or seminars.
- Successful track of research projects/funds and contribution to grant applications that are collaborative in nature and/or demonstrated ability to write competitive grants independently.
- Demonstrates desire to move towards scientific independence through submission of grant applications, development of independent research projects, or, collaborate with scientists other than the primary mentor with whom the scientist works.
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Job Status:
Full timeEmployee Type:
This job has expired.