Are you interested in being part of a dynamic health and medical journals publishing team? This might be your opportunity to join us as a Publisher!
We are looking for a bright and enthusiastic publisher to manage and develop a portfolio of journals within the Health & Medical Sciences (HMS) team, which is part of our Science, Technology & Medical Journals (STMJ) Publishing Organization.
The role balances academic research and publishing knowledge with a keen interest in online and Open Access developments, a strong affinity for building and managing relationships, and business acumen. The successful applicant will be competent working independently while contributing to team initiatives.
This role will be hired at Publisher or Associate Publisher level, depending on the applicant's experience. The position will report to a VP/Publishing Director based in New York, US.
Key Results Areas
Portfolio Management and Development
- Develop plans for the portfolio; ensure alignment with organization's strategic priorities.
- Work with editors, authors, editorial boards, societies, and the academic community at large to ensure sufficient flow of relevant, high-quality manuscripts.
- Negotiate and manage contractual relationships with journal editors, societies.
- Proactive maintenance and development of the existing portfolio, considering developments in the external marketplace, including the development of Open Access initiatives.
- Quality control and monitoring of all aspects of day-to-day editorial, production, and publishing operations and actively address improvements where required.
- Meet portfolio-related objectives with regard to content growth (quantity and quality), market share, editorial speed, and customer satisfaction.
- Manage budgets and provide input to financial modeling. Monitor and influence journals' financial performance.
- Data gathering, presentation, and interpretation.
Relationship Management and Networking
- Establish, maintain, and develop excellent networks with key external stakeholders, including editors, authors, society representatives, university leadership and industry, with a view to understanding their professional and organizational needs and ongoing market developments.
- Establish, manage, and maintain excellent contacts with colleagues and stakeholders within the company (e.g., operations, publishing, marketing, technology and other teams), coordinating activities as they relate to the portfolio's needs and development.
- Identify and map market needs and business opportunities.
- Develop, and where feasible acquire, new products and services, including society journals and other opportunities.
- Collaborative, creative, innovative
- Proactive, responsive, results oriented
- Flexibility working in a complex, matrix international environment
- Willingness to travel internationally
What you should bring:
- Excellent networking skills
- Strong communication and presentation skills (both verbal and written, fluent English speaker)
- Commercial awareness and negotiation skills
- Financial awareness and business acumen
- Knowledge of relevant parts of the scientific and health/medical world, sociology and needs
Education and experience:
- University degree
- STM publishing experience or equivalent relevant industry or postdoctoral experience
Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact email@example.com or if you are based in the US you may also contact us on 1.855.833.5120.
This job has expired.