At Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare’s hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere—we strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture—our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let’s advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
As Intuitive’s da Vinci® Surgical System becomes adopted by an increasing population of hospitals, surgeons and patients, we are building a focused team to drive reliability, quality, and safety to ever-better levels. This focus applies to product in use, product in manufacturing, and product in design. Help us powerfully drive our quality mission in our young and growing company by bringing your hands-on experience in solving tough engineering problems, your fascination with complex electro-mechanical devices, and your passion for the best practices to design, monitor, and improve product and process. Intuitive seeks a strong technical contributor who can help define practical, useful quality metrics and specifications, identify key opportunities for product improvement, launch quality initiatives, lead projects to implement these initiatives, and serve as an expert consultant to help solve the most technically challenging quality problems. The ideal candidate possesses a broad base of experience and a high level of technical depth in at least one or two technical specialties applicable to medical robotics, and is equally at home in the test lab and providing technical leadership to our team as we develop standard practices of our organization. You will not abide “process red tape”, instead passionately seeking the most efficient way to build in product quality. And you will also coach, mentor, teach, and influence the engineering staff in best quality practices, data analysis, protocol development, and design for quality and reliability methods.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This position has responsibility and authority for:
50% involvement in Product development(Sustaining and NPI), 20% failure investigation, 20% quality advocacy and project management.
- Quality Advocacy and Project Management.
- Develop and apply corporate level quality metrics.
Lead and project manage quality initiatives in one or more of these focus areas:
- Product Quality
- Process Quality
- Handle projects of various mechanical products.
- Work with product development teams to develop measurable goals for quality. Participate in the risk management process ensuring that the essential performance aspects are correctly mitigated in the product quality plans.
- Identify critical elements of designs based on design details and data-driven review of past designs. Recommend design processes and methods to meet quality goals: DFX, etc.
- Work with the design teams to co-design robotic systems to enable self-diagnostic capabilities.
- Provide guidance to other engineers regarding applicable regulatory and statutory requirements and the applicability of these requirements to the ISI products.
- Plan and direct creation of quality standards, quality control, and quality assurance procedures, sampling plans, test methods, fixtures, and processes for finished devices manufactured at ISI Sunnyvale, ISI Mexicali, and OEM suppliers, utilizing clinical and engineering knowledge.
- Ensure process compliance through the design and development of comprehensive procedures including work instructions, flowcharts, forms, templates, checklists, and other product or process related documentation, for recording, evaluating, and reporting quality data.
- Develop and implement methods and procedures for disposition of discrepant material.
- Support new product introduction projects through development and execution of process validation and verification test plans, protocols, and reports.
- Provide support to commercial product manufacturing processes, including failure analysis, documentation review and approval, tooling qualification, and defect containments.
- Provide quality expertise post market release to the quality engineering support team to analyze the returned product.
- Perform deep technical failure analysis based on the physics of failure.
- Review and interpret complex data analysis rooted in an understanding of our product hardware and software, the physics of failure, and the use conditions in the clinical / operating room environment.
- Participate in Risk Analyses for new and existing products, including review of both hardware and software.
- Work with Design Engineering to maintain tracing of risk to requirement to test.
- Participate in review of technical and quality information for regulatory submissions.
Competency Requirements: In order to adequately perform the responsibilities of this position the individual must possess:
- Education: Minimum bachelor’s degree in electrical, mechanical or system engineering, math, or physics. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 6+ years of working experience in Quality Engineering or related field, minimum 3 years in medical device design or manufacturing environment.
- Able to navigate quality and compliance system with minimal oversight on individual projects.
- Demonstrated Understanding of CFR 21 820/ ISO 13485 requirements for making process or design changes.
- Understands product risks, able to generate FMEA.
- Have good grasp of quality control and tools.
- Able to drive larger scale quality improvement initiatives.
- Understands and can quantify defect.
- Involved in Design and process improvement projects in the past.
- Understands Design Controls, Change Controls, Product, and Engineering Processes.
- Able to generate and execute Qualification and Validation protocol and Quality Assurance Procedures.
- Solves complex problem without any oversight and begins training others.
- Proficient in SPC & Six Sigma methodology and tools (e.g. uses DMAIC process and basic tools such as 5 Why's, control charts, fishbone diagram).
- Able to create Multi-source report, trends, and interprets data with minimal oversight.
- Uses data to quantitatively communicate problem or issue.
- Understands typical Excel data analysis operations (e.g. Vlookup, Pivot table and pivot chart functions).
- Able to plan complex project with cross functional team, coordinates and prioritize tasks with minimal oversight.
- Able to advise Peers.
- Leads small project team in the past.
- Makes decision with supportive evidence.
- Operates with minimal oversight for problems or assignments of reasonable difficulty.
- Makes decision inefficient manner. (e.g. Gets consensus, works through challenges. Understands the why and priority behind projects and tasks to facilitate decision making.)
- Can present information in various forms and forums, collaborates with peers across functions. Experience in presenting to cross functional mgmt. communications. (e.g. report writing, presentations, QRB presenter).
- Able to cope with changes and uncertainties; and handle associate risks comfortably.
- Ask questions and don’t stop at the first answer. Analyze deeply to ensure the solution is the most effective solution.
- Brings unpleasant facts to discussion, does not hold back information.
- Driven by results. Fully supports team decision, even if he/she disagrees with the decision.
- Enjoys working hard and learning when opportunities arise.
- Gives credit to others for success, and does not blame others for his/her mistakes. Doesn’t misrepresent him/herself for personal gain or protection.
- Listens and respects others. Demonstrates constructive work relationship with others in the organization.
- Offers suggestions for doing things differently, brings measurable evidence to support each decision. Able to breakdown complex issues into simplified task.
- Sets priority and manages time wisely, capable of identifying the critical issues from the trivial issues. Sets individual goals aligning with the team goal.
- Understands that the real success is the success of the whole team.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Shift : Shift 1 - Day
Travel : Yes, 25 % of the Time
Travel Requirements:Yes, 25 % of the Time Shift:Shift 1 - Day