At Facebook Reality Labs Research (FRL-R), our goal is to explore, innovate and design novel interfaces and hardware subsystems for the next generation of virtual, augmented, and mixed reality experiences. We are looking for a skilled and motivated Hardware Research Scientist to join our team, whose mission is to research and develop new technologies that will improve human-computer interaction and create new ways to control AR devices. We are specifically looking for a candidate with experience in numerical methods to research novel algorithms and mechanical structures for dynamic control of the next generation of interaction systems. You will drive research efforts in their area of expertise with internal and external partners. You will work with a diverse and highly interdisciplinary team of researchers and engineers and will have access to cutting edge technology, resources, and testing facilities.
- Propose and conduct design activities in a cross-functional team environment.
- Conceptualize, model and drive the build and test of prototypes of novel electromechanical systems while thinking about how it would scale to higher volumes.
- Apply rigorous research and engineering principles in the areas of next generation electromechanical systems.
- Develop novel algorithms and mechanical structures for waveform synthesis and dynamic control.
- Plan and execute cutting-edge research to improve human-computer interaction and create new ways to control AR devices.
- Must obtain work authorization in the country of employment at the time of hire and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment.
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining a PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Physics or equivalent.
- Experience in 3D design modeling (e.g. SolidWorks, etc.) and rapid prototyping.
- 3+ years of experience programming in C, C++, MATLAB or Python.
- Experience in analytical and numerical methods including FEA.
- Research experience involving defining problems, exploring solutions, and analyzing results.
- Experience in Machine Learning and data driven approaches for design optimization.
- Experience in invention and design optimization of metastructures.
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by grants, fellowships, patents, as well as first-authored publications at leading journals, workshops or conferences such as Physical Review Letters, Advanced Materials and Technologies, SIGGRAPH, UIST or similar.
- Interpersonal skills, cross-group collaboration, and cross-culture collaboration.
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.