GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Under the general direction of the executive director of the Department of Psychiatry, the incumbent in this position will serve as a senior member of the administrative team, interacting with clinical leadership and overseeing all administrative aspects of the Department's clinical operations. Psychiatry has a large clinical service that employs several hundred physicians, psychologists, and social workers as well as 100 administrative staff. The Department provides clinical services through ~30 separate programs, including outpatient, inpatient, and emergency services, which are spread out geographically across approximately 20 office suites, both on and near the MGH campus. Operations are funded through General Hospital, MGPO, and sundry funds.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Clinical Program Operations
New Program Development
- Manage twenty-five Mass General Physicians Organization (MGPO) and eight General Hospital clinical practices across multiple sites, including supervision of two administrative directors and several administrative, program and operations managers
- Work closely with the Department's leadership team, including: the associate chief for clinical services; the chief of child psychiatry; the medical director and clinical director of the outpatient division; quality chair; and the directors of the various PO and ACD practices.
- Ensure quarterly meetings with clinical leaders for the practices and administrative staff to review budgets, revenue, billing, and practice operations. Identify opportunities to optimize billing potential and develop reporting mechanisms to keep track of progress.
- Work with practice leadership to determine staffing needs, both clinical and administrative, and mechanisms for funding positions.
- Oversee the outpatient productivity tracking system. Coordinate with the medical director and clinical director of the outpatient division on salary and productivity issues.
- Escalate issues relating to recurring clinician documentation and other issues to outpatient department executive team and ensure regular intervals for compliance training are scheduled across practices
- Oversee practice personnel issues, including final approval of the hiring of new support staff and the initiation of corrective action process, where applicable
- Conduct analyses on clinical space utilization across practices and other initiatives to improve patient access
- In collaboration with the finance director, conceptualize and perform a variety of financial analyses, including new program business plans, spending projections, etc.
- Develop and implement strategies for cost containment
- Discuss with MGPO billing manager and approve annual revenue estimate
- Assis the finance director with annual expense budget for MGPO practices
- Work with Professional Billing Office of the MGPO to maximize billing and revenue
- Work with Department's project manager to coordinate office space requests and build-out.
- Serve as lead administrative staff person on Department's work on Population Health Management and behavioral health integration, working closely with the vice president for behavioral health on MGH and MGB-wide efforts in this area.
- Serve as lead administrator for Epic-related issues and optimization efforts.
- Oversee the TelePsychiatry program, including identifying new payment/reimbursement models and business development opportunities, and keeping track of/implementing regulatory changes related to telehealth.
- Provide status reports to executive director on key performance measures across programs and raise issues of concern in order to solicit input on solutions
- Provide analytics support on various clinical operations/quality improvement projects
- Keep an inventory of embedded relationships within external departments and key operational staffing needs to various support models
- Develop and mentor junior administrative departmental staff
- Serve as the primary point person for leading central hospital and PO efforts in partnership with Ambulatory Management
- Serve as the administrative lead for several key departmental committees including Clinical Operation Leadership, Clinical Council, and OPD Executive Committee
- Research and assist in developing new programs and models of care and prepare business case
- Develop proposals to secure insurance and other funding for new programs
- Develop financial models and business plans for new programs
- Implement new programs through clinical operations staff, including: working with the PBO to set up billing; hiring staff; identifying space; marketing program; arranging for billing system support (Epic, etc)
- Assist in projects as needed for community psychiatry
- Assume responsibility for complex special projects as assigned (department-specific and hospital-wide projects)
Master's degree in health care, business or public administration (or a related field) required
At least three years of managerial experience required
Experience working in an academic medical center preferredEEO Statement
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.