Zoetis has developed industry leading genetic evaluations for cattle that combine genomic, phenotypic, and pedigree data to help livestock producers address complex challenges related to animal health, productivity, and efficiency. Underpinning these genetic evaluations are vast phenotype and genotype databases spanning economically relevant traits and breeds, coupled with access to cutting edge genomic evaluation and cloud computing infrastructure. The Senior Scientist - Genetic Evaluation will participate in all aspects of service delivery related to internal genetic evaluations supporting the Genetics business. This position will participate in coordination of development, deployment, and execution of genetic evaluations for dairy cattle, beef cattle, and other species, as applicable. In this role, the successful candidate must participate in a team of data scientists and work within inter-departmental collaborations to ensure dependable and convenient delivery of genetic information to Zoetis customers. The successful candidate would be responsible for execution and monitoring of routine genetic and genomic evaluation for dairy and beef cattle; work with various groups and teams to ensure timely receipt of data and delivery of high-quality results; helps identify current and future customer needs as well as potential scientific and technical improvements. Strong written and verbal technical skills and ability to communicate with internal and external customers is a required skill. An understanding of the livestock industry would be beneficial.
The major duties will include but are not limited to:
- Provides expertise in the application of statistical analyses and quantitative genetics in genetic evaluation for economically relevant traits. Experience and/or training with single-step genomic evaluation strategies is strongly recommended.
- Performs incoming and outgoing data quality control as required.
- Participates and occasionally leads in the delivery of routine genetic and genomic evaluations.
- Participates and occasionally leads investigations into inconsistent results or system anomalies.
- Works with Lab Operations, Customer Services, Technical Services, and Information Technology Services to identify bottlenecks and ensure smooth and efficient data flow, with timely reporting to customers being a top-priority.
- Collaborates with R&D to deploy new analyses and services and identify future areas of improvement and development.
- Master's degree in Animal Science, Quantitative Genetics, Statistics, Bioinformatics, or similar field. PhD preferred.
- Strong understanding of statistical methods and tools used in estimation of breeding values for production, reproduction, health, and other economically relevant traits in livestock species, especially single-step genomic analyses.
- Practical experience in conducting genetic and genomic evaluations in production settings and 1-3 years of industry experience strongly preferred.
- Excellent programming skills and experience in Fortran90, R, Perl, C, C++, and Java in a Unix/Linux environment.
- Experience in working with databases and large data sets.
- Experience in using DNA markers for genetic evaluation.
- Deep understanding of US and International cattle industries including relevant stakeholders (e.g., breed associations, producer groups).
- Strong communication skills- both verbal and written.
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse personalities.
- Comfortable in a rapidly changing environment.
- Self-motivated; ability to work independently and within a team.
A post-doc candidate may be considered.
Zoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status or any other protected classification. Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please contact Zoetis Colleague Services at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an accommodation. Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility, considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers. Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of "@zoetis.com". In addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment related activities. Any solicitation or request for information related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make any type of personal financial investment related to gaining employment with Zoetis.