Here at AstraZeneca you'll have the opportunity to make a difference in people's lives every day. As one of the world's premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health and help fight and cure disease. As a Senior Scientist in the Virology and Vaccines Discovery group in the Early Vaccines and Immune Therapies Unit (Early V&I) in Gaithersburg, MD, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives.
The Virology and Vaccines Discovery group at AstraZeneca is discovering and developing vaccines and biologics targeting key viral pathogens, including respiratory viruses. We are consistently pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients. Our deep expertise in vaccines and immunology enables our ability to advance novel therapeutic approaches and technologies to prevent and treat infectious disease. We have an industry-leading pipeline and offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family.
Currently, we are seeking a highly motivated and broadly skilled bench scientist with scientific and technical expertise in molecular virology, with a track record of scientific achievement to join the Vaccines and Immune Therapies Research group at AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD. The Senior Scientist will be a key member of a growing team focused on developing next-generation biologics or vaccines, taking projects through the drug discovery process. The position requires a strong interest in laboratory bench work and driving projects forward. AstraZeneca has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We look to attract top talent and we nurture and develop them.
- Lead, design and conduct in vitro and in vivo studies to support the development of vaccines or biologics to viral pathogens of interest, in particular influenza virus and other respiratory viruses.
- Lead the design and generation of tool viruses, cell lines or reagents to be used towards the characterization of vaccine immunogenicity.
- Lead the development of high-throughput virological, immunological and/or biochemical assays to evaluate novel vaccines towards elicitation of protective immunity against clinically relevant respiratory pathogens, in particular influenza viruses
- Conduct preclinical studies and author reports to support the advancement of candidate drug products to the clinic.
- Work with cross-functional team to design, construct, and produce novel vaccine vectors and/or antigens.
- Rescue recombinant viruses by reverse genetics; work with team to generate, maintain and characterize virus stocks that will be used towards in vitro and in vivo studies.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across the organization (e.g. protein engineering, bioinformatics, pathology, and translational medicine) to drive projects towards successful completion.
- Make detailed observations/measurements, analyze data, and interpret results independently.
- Preparation of precise technical summaries, protocols, quantitative analyses, and maintenance of appropriate documentation.
- Oversee the day-to-day organization of different project-related components.
- Author and publish discoveries in high quality, peer-reviewed journals.
- Ph.D. in Virology, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Immunology, Cell Biology, or related scientific discipline, with 2+ years of relevant experience
- Broad experience required in virology, molecular biology and/or immunology.
- Extensive hands-on experience working with RNA and respiratory viruses, in particular influenza viruses.
- Experience with reverse genetics systems to rescue recombinant viruses.
- Advanced knowledge of methods to characterize antibodies and/or vaccines to viruses, including: sterile culture of mammalian cell lines, virological and biochemical assay techniques (e.g. virus microneutralization, plaque reduction neutralization, and single- or multiplex-ELISAs), molecular biology techniques (e.g. cloning, DNA isolation and purification, RT-PCR and qPCR), and flow cytometry, etc.
- Experience with the design, engineering, and characterization of vaccine vectors/antigens and/or the isolation and characterization of monoclonal antibodies.
- Experience with some automation is desired.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and collaborative skills together with evidence of having used these to support problem solving and delivery in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to work in a collaborative, fast-paced environment while planning and leading the team to meet timelines.
- Proven track record of success in your research and experience preparing written scientific reports (e.g. manuscripts) and oral presentations (e.g. slides, posters).
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize numerous different projects.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Must be able to understand, conduct and interpret results of technically challenging experiments with minimum supervision.Supervision
: Ability to work independently as well as part of team is expected.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience.AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.Why AstraZeneca?
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.So, what's next!
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it's yours.Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.
This job has expired.