Position Title: Staff Attorney
Reports To: Managing Attorney
Team: Southeast Region
Job Location: Southeastern Region Based in Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Grade Level: 8
FLSA & Exempt
Union Status: Non-Bargaining
Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit organization working to eradicate hunger and poverty and to promote peace and justice around the world. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
To provide legal representation to clients in accordance with the terms of CWS contracts with the funding sources. This position is responsible for case file reviews, court representation, and service provision. The position will be based out of our Broward County Office.
- Conduct intake interviews with clients; prepare clients for court appearances and/or USCIS interviews.
- Ensure adequate representation for CWS clients at USCIS and EOIR, including but not limited to: Immigration Interviews, Asylum Hearings; Master/Individual Calendar Hearings; and submission of briefs to the Board of Immigration Appeals. Incumbent may be required to appear on behalf of clients from all three of our South Florida offices at the immigration court and USCIS.
- Negotiate with USCIS officers and Supervisors at local District Office or Service Centers to rectify problems faced by clients.
- Draft supplemental statements, rebuttals to Notices of Intent to Deny and Requests for Evidence; prepare and file immigration applications and motions; prepare other ancillary immigration papers, including Freedom of Information Act requests.
- Properly manage client appointments and professional duties to ensure thorough and professional representation of client interests.
- Conduct weekly file review to ensure that all case files are maintained appropriately as pertains to professional service delivery.
- Supervise support staff personnel to ensure successful achievement of daily activities as they pertain to Staff Attorney duties. Ensure adequate review of immigration forms completed by the legal staff.
- Represent CWS/IRP at community-based organization meetings, and various Task Force meetings, related to immigration issues.
- Respond to requests for information posed by Staff and other legal service providers, as appropriate.
- Conduct legal research to support filed immigration applications.
- Provide legal and programmatic information for the development of grant applications and new programs on behalf of IRP legal and immigration services.
- Promote the CWS legal program through various media including newspaper, radio and television. Coordinate and plan outreach activities to achieve program goals
- Perform other related duties and special projects, as requested.
Law degree with specialization in Immigration law. Admission to a state bar required; membership in the Florida Bar preferred.Experience:
Experience with immigration representation and other areas of Immigration Law, including asylum representation.Other Skills:
Ability to work cooperatively with other staff in a fast-paced work environment. Haitian Creole language fluency required. Special Requirements:
- COVID vaccine required
- Must have valid driver’s license and reliable personal vehicle. Mileage accrued while executing work responsibilities is reimbursable by CWS.
- Must complete motor vehicle record check.
- Must be willing and able to travel.
- Background check required.
- Level 2 Fingerprints required.
CWS’ U.S. COVID-19 Vaccination Policy requires all new staff to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination as soon as reasonable, no longer than 60 days of employment. Any employee who is pregnant, who is nursing, who has a disability, or who has a medical condition that prevents them from safe vaccination, or who rejects vaccination because of sincerely held religious beliefs, may contact the CWS Benefits Administrator to request reasonable accommodation as defined by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).CWS offers a competitive benefits package that includes:
•403 (b) Retirement Plan
•Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
•Paid Time Off
•Life Insurance and AD&D
•Long Term and Short Term Disability
•Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
•Health Savings Account
•Flexible Spending Accounts
• Commuter Benefits
This job has expired.