The VP of Government Affairs and Strategic Engagement will lead PCSI's efforts to promote its policy agenda with federal, state local government entities and policy makers, and among leading disability organizations. This position will advance PCSI's mission by providing strategic level responsibility, accountability, and leadership for a policy and advocacy agenda that enables positive change in policy and regulation, and national disability employment direction that supports maximum employment opportunities for PCSI's community. The position will own PCSI's strategy for monitoring and influencing public policy, legislation and regulations affecting federal procurement and disability employment. It will provide leadership and focus of effort in cultivating understanding and support for PCSI (to include it's work through the AbilityOne Program) from Congress, Federal Executive Branch Agencies, Consumer and/or other organization also concerned with procurement and/or disability employment policy. The position requires a high level of creativity, compassion, proven experience, network connections and initiative, as well as demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with the CEO, the Board, and other senior executives.
This position reports to the President and CEO.
Skills & Qualifications
- Provides vision, leadership, and management of policy, government affairs and strategic engagement area, including federal, state, and local policy, and state and national disability or employment initiatives.
- Leads and manages the development, implementation, and execution of an annual plan for public policy that aligns with PCSI's Strategic Business Plan to meet overall corporate objectives and that reflects the organization's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Monitors and influences relevant evolving public policy by participating in and articulating PCSI's positions at meetings, conferences and task forces and analyzing communications of a broad range of other organizations, both public and private.
- Partners with Board Members, all levels of staff, and community partners to ensure clarity of PCSI's positioning and shared understanding of strategic objectives.
- Serve as a pro-active information resource for PCSI on current issues and developments in the federal procurement and disability employment arenas. Seeks input from appropriate colleagues on issues of specific concern.
- Writes position papers, legislative alerts, and periodic updates for dissemination according to organization procedures.
- Educates Members of Congress and their staffs on PCSI accomplishments and/or concerns to include participation in AbilityOne.
- Speaks publicly on behalf of the organization to a wide variety of audiences, to include delivering keynote addresses, presentations at national and state conferences, speaking to the media, and serving on committees and advisory groups as directed.
- Positions the organization as the leading organization for all persons and veterans with disabilities looking to find meaningful work, by fostering a legislative and regulatory environment favorable to success.
- Collaborates and brainstorms with other departments and internal teams to create innovative content ideas.
- Develops strategic, integrated advocacy plans with measurable goals aligned to PCSI priorities and execute on those plans from beginning to end.
- Works with CEO & executives on policy or advocacy focused engagements.
- Creates helpful, concise, and clear messaging including Q&A and talking points for team members.
- Stays up to date on global policy and social trends to identify and execute on proactive communications.
- Identifies current issues that need to be managed and initiate response.
- Identifies opportunities for positive stories about PCSI featuring our communities, executives, and/or business initiatives.
Non-required skills that will be given additional consideration include:
- A successful record of creative leadership in the development and implementation of comprehensive policy, advocacy initiatives and programs in a complex, multi-layered, and fast paced work environment where multi-tasking is required.
- Politically savvy with a strong professional presence, with knowledge and experience in the development and delivery of a national public policy and advocacy agenda affecting employment of individuals with disabilities and/or veterans.
- Strategic thinker with proven ability to assess complex political circumstances, build partnerships and maintain credibility at local, state, and national levels with a variety of partners.
- Analytical and critical skills to formulate advocacy campaigns, policy recommendations, and manage complex programs.
- Superior writing and presentation skills demonstrated in authoring position papers, reports, and communications materials which includes speeches, presentations, and publications.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills to engage stakeholders, potential partners, and collaborators to work on projects of mutual interest.
- Experience working with high-level leaders including CEO's, elected officials and top industry leaders.
- Ability to understand complex details across business, technology, economics, policy, and government and communicate that complexity with compassion, clarity and simplicity.
- A passion and strong understanding of mission-based non-profits.
- Minimum of 15 years directly related experience in a nonprofit or government environment with demonstrated experience at a senior leadership level.
Job Type: Full-time
- Strong relationships with leading disability organizations.
- Proven experience working for a national non-profit.
- Deep expertise in the AbilityOne Program.
- Strong network international disability policy influencers.
- Veterans and Persons with Disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employment
- Salary: commensurate with qualifications and experience
PCSI is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This job has expired.