WIC Program Nutritionist *Spanish speaking preferred!
Measures growth of WIC family and provides emotion based nutrition counseling to high-risk participants under the supervision of the Senior Nutritionist. Facilitates conversation to guide the participant towards behavior change. Explains the WIC Program and nutrition eligibility at certification and recertification visits. Assigns appropriate food prescriptions and explain foods benefits. Thoroughly documents nutrition care plans in WIC EOS computer system and follows USDA and DPH documentation requirements. Screens for immunizations and anemia/lead levels to ensure participant is up to date. Provides referrals to other local agencies for additional assistance beyond our scope of practice. Conducts nutrition and breastfeeding in-services out in the community.
Provides nutrition care to high-risk women, infants and children under the supervision of the Senior Nutritionist including all aspects of:
- Anthropometric and hematological data collection
- Dietary assessment, nutritional risk assessment and food package prescription
- Counseling and education
- Documentation and data entry
- Referrals to other health and social services
- Follow up nutrition education
Participates in planning, development, implementation and evaluation of:
- Educational materials and group nutrition education sessions.
- Participant counseling and education strategies.
- Nutrition presentations and outreach activities
- Nutrition Policies
- Annual Farmers Market Distribution Events
- Keeps current on all aspects of breastfeeding education.
- When available, completes professional training as a Certified Lactation Counseling
- Passes CLC exam and keeps up to date with CEUS to maintain credential.
- Maintain 10 CEU's per year as required by DPH
Assists Senior Nutritionist in:
- Training paraprofessional WIC Staff.
- Conducting Quality Assurance activities.
- Will provide ongoing communication with health care community on issues pertaining to participant needs.
- Will provide ongoing nutrition care for low-risk applicants and participants as needed.
- Will Precept MGH Dietetic Interns.
- Will work on reports to work to improve our rates. i.e Immunization, Blood work Missing Reports
- Will facilitate the nutrition, breastfeeding education groups in the community
- Will perform other duties as needed.
- Will issue benefits and schedule appointments
- Will participate in administration of facebook account and submit article posting.
- Will provide cosignatures for all high risk charts seen by nutrition assistants in a timely manner.
- Will be demonstrate team work to identify what needs to be completed to ensure optimal patient flow.
One year's experience in clinical or community nutrition preferred.
Maintains a positive attitude.
Bilingual Spanish strongly preferred.
Availability to travel to multiple WIC sites during program clinic hours as needed.
Available to work evenings and Saturdays.
Ability to greet all participants upon arrival in a friendly manner.
Is able to handle pressures of seeing high patient volume, while providing excellent customer service.
Demonstrates excellent customer service to patients and coworkers.
Communicates with coworkers and patients in a culturally sensitive manner.
Is able to work with others to efficiently work towards a common goal, demonstrating strong teamwork ethic.
Demonstrates critical thinking and decision making capabilities.
Demonstrates initiative to learn all components of the job.
Self motivated and organized.
Works well independently.
Sensitivity to the needs of participant population we serve.
Is reliable and punctual.
Able to effectively communicate with participants, coworkers, other interdepartmental staff, and supervisors.EDUCATION:
- Bachelor's degree in public health nutrition, nutrition, foods and nutrition, or nutrition education and/or have completed the necessary coursework necessary to be eligible to sit for the Licensed Dietitian Nutritionist exam.
- Master's degree in public health nutrition, nutrition, or food and nutrition, Registration with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, or licensure with the Massachusetts Board of Registration of Dietitians and Nutritionists, desired.
One year of Community Nutrition and Counseling preferred.SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY:
As needed under the direction of the Senior Nutritionist and Program Director.WORKING CONDITIONS:
Busy office with high people contact. Working evenings and Saturdays is required. Must have reliable transportation to travel to 3 sites on a regular basis.EEO Statement
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.